The Conservative Party/Government

Didn't OPEC try to bankrupt US producers around 10 years ago by increasing supply to lower the price? I can recall the ships parked off ports full of oil because there was so much supply. I knew someone at the time who worked in Aberdeen who lost their job because of it as it was more expensive to drill the oil than the price to sell it.

It's a perfect time for huge monopolies to put competitors out of business and as you say it's a once in a lifetime opportunity to steal Russian market share, especially if they're more competitive in exports to China. It's already happening with the big middle east increases in gas exports to the west so why is oil any different?
There are different grades of oil, not sure about the exact numbers and not got a clue about Russian oil but Saudi have the cheapest oil and can turn a profit at something like $20 a barrel, the US was something like $45 but they slashed wages over there and that came down somewhat, Canada have shale and that’s even higher.

It wasn’t to send them out of business, the US literally just stop pumping under a certain price because it’s not worth it, so it’s the workers who get fucked. At low prices the Saudis aren’t making much money so nobody benefits. I think the sweet spot for everyone is about $60-80 a barrel.

Yeah, that’s right on the ships, I was short oil at the time and was looking at images of the ships on the net, I knew the storage was full from all the floating storage and full storage equals lower prices.

Russia have said they’re 17% down on production. They probably have higher profits though as the price is considerably higher than 17% up since it kicked off.

Ultimately, demand will go down because of the high price, OPEC aren’t pumping that much so the price will stay high. Russian oil will get sold at discount to the east and Middle Eastern oil will go to the west. The winners are the Middle East as they’re getting fuck loads more money, Russia as they’re getting fuck loads more money but not as much as the others. China and India are probably paying slightly over average due to Russian discount and the West are getting fucked hard.

Now EDF are having problems with nuclear and importing electricity from the UK and the shit has hit the fan with a LNG exporter in Texas due to fire.

Basically, Europe are fucked.

Last edited:
If it isn't a nationalised industry why is it any of Michael Green's, Corinne Stockheath's and Sebastian Fox's business?

The government don't force ITV or Sky to publish salaries like the BBC do they?
Is it not a simple attempt to ostracise people against the strikers?

It doesn’t need to be true, nothing does with this government. It just needs to be believable for enough of the people to believe it.

Could get uber drivers to retrain as train and tube drivers and pay them 50% more than they get in the minicab and some would be game for it. Replace the maintenance crew with the blokes from car park car washes.

Fo some reason I'd prefer drivers of 125 mph trains to be trained and paid like pilots and qualified (mechanical) engineers to look after the trains and railways instead of casualised labour.

Can't think of exactly why though...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.