The Day City Sent Wednesday Down

Scaring Europe to Death

Just stumbled upon a Sheffield Wednesday thread recalling their heartbreak when City sent them down in 1970.

“Everybody knew that City wanted Wednesday to win, especially as City were in the ECWC Final the following week.
It was all going to plan until a bad foul on Mike Summerbee, which resulted in him missing the Vienna final. Ian Bowyer took his place and obviously trying to impress, his energy took Wednesday by surprise"

Anyone at this game?

I went and I think he's got a point, but personally I could never want City to lose or draw, because it benefits another team.

Yes, I was there.

IIRC, Mike Doyle missed a penalty, Bowyer scored both goals and was shunned by his team mates when the winner went in. City tried their hardest not to win the match, but Wednesday just weren't good enough to do anything about it.

The win sent Wednesday down, but kept (I think) Palace, who (again, I think) were managed by Allison, up.

It pissed down all night.

thelegde said:
I went and I think he's got a point, but personally I could never want City to lose or draw, because it benefits another team.
What about that famous game at Blackburn (around 95 or 96, I think). They were going for the title, up against the vermin, and we beat them 3-2 in a monsoon at Ewood Park. Quite a few blues there that night with mixed feelings leaving the ground.

jimharri said:
thelegde said:
What about that famous game at Blackburn (around 95 or 96, I think). They were going for the title, up against the vermin, and we beat them 3-2 in a monsoon at Ewood Park. Quite a few blues there that night with mixed feelings leaving the ground.
Load of rubbish, we still needed points to avoid the drop. I was there and it was a cracking night with everyone buzzing on the way back to the station. Just made the last train!

Most of the City players were trying to help their old team-mate Tony Coleman who had moved to Wednesday that season. As has been said Ian Bowyer rather spoiled things by scoring.

jimharri said:
thelegde said:

Absolute bollocks. That was one of the greatest City wins of the 90s. We needed the points to stay up and everyone was well happy.

ManCityX said:
jimharri said:
thelegde said:

Absolute bollocks. That was one of the greatest City wins of the 90s. We needed the points to stay up and everyone was well happy.
I was there and it was a fabulous win after twice being behind I think. No mixed feelings just elation

Now Villa away in 1993 was a different story. A banner saying "Good luck Villa from the City of Manchester" was ran across the pitch and Tony Coton deliberately let the penalty squirm under him when he mistakenly dived the correct way.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.