The English Game - Netflix

pirate

Watched the first episode last night.
Cant binge watch as I am still working and have kids.
But will be watching over the next few weeks.

Its billed as being about the birth of football, but its set too late for that. Its more like the switch from public school game to working class game and the birth of the professional game.

Watched the first episode last night.
Cant binge watch as I am still working and have kids.
But will be watching over the next few weeks.

Its billed as being about the birth of football, but its set too late for that. Its more like the switch from public school game to working class game and the birth of the professional game.
Binge watched last week. Really enjoyed it.
The class thing is a theme but more about northern mill owners investing in Scottish pro players on the QT into an amateur game run by established teams.

It'd be a bit like bringing world class players in to beat an established cartel of clubs and then said cartel changing the rules to stop them.
Chairman of the FA being a member of the Old Etonian team - would be like an executive director of a current club being on today's FA board.
Investing money to disrupt the status quo?
Who'd have thought such a thing could happen more than 100 years ago! Wouldn't happen now.

Lord Kinnaird who was captain of The Wanderers won 5 F A Cup winners medals and is up there with the likes of Patrick Vieira and Ashley Cole etc.
He then went onto become Chairman of The F.A.
I love learning about the early days/pre WW1 origins of football.
The names of all previous FA Cup Winners are displayed around the roof at Wembley on cup final day,and include long forgotten teams such as Clapham Rovers,Blackburn Olympic,Royal Engineers and Oxford University.

Last edited:
I posted about this yesterday. I just binge watched all 6 episodes. The similarity between what the Old Guard were trying to do to Blackburn, Preston and Bolton and what the current Old Guard are trying to do to City is striking.

140 Years later - different day, same old s..t.

I thought it was ok. I enjoyed it. The production values were good.

Fellowes ruined it with the cliches of plucky northern dimwits and arrogant Etonian toffs.

I left it originally as it got some mediocre reviews but there’s not much else to do so binged it over the last two days and have to say it was better than I had expected. Not sure how much of that is because of my interest in the subject matter though.

I liked the part where they said only the richest teams will win anything if the game turned professional. Just goes to show you that from the absolute beginning this has always been the case in football despite what the social media armchair fans will have you believe.

Special mention to how utterly dreadful all the keepers were in it,

Sorry did about 30 mins of first episode and its boring as fuck.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.