The Fall

journolud

I was well into the Fall when they first started, having seen them at Deeply Vale in 77 or 78 and I used to buy all their stuff on release. I lost interest a bit around the time of the Weird and wonderful world of and then didn't really follow them. I currently have everything up to and including Hex Induction Hour and was thinking of exploring some of their other stuff but as there is around 235 albums, possibly, I wouldn't know where to start. So lads and lasses, what is classic Fall and what is best avoided, or left till last at any rate.

journolud said:
I was well into the Fall when they first started, having seen them at Deeply Vale in 77 or 78 and I used to buy all their stuff on release. I lost interest a bit around the time of the Weird and wonderful world of and then didn't really follow them. I currently have everything up to and including Hex Induction Hour and was thinking of exploring some of their other stuff but as there is around 235 albums, possibly, I wouldn't know where to start. So lads and lasses, what is classic Fall and what is best avoided, or left till last at any rate.

Of their recent albums, Country On The Click and Heads Roll are probably the best. From the 90s, The Infotainment Scan is pretty good - but this wasn't a great period for them. The mid 80s run of Perverted by Language, Wonderful and Frightening World of..., This Nation's Saving Grace and Bend Sinister are great too. But to be honest, the best stuff is the stuff you've already got - Grotesque After The Gramme, Slates and Hex Enduction Hour is a run of albums/EPs/whatever unparallelled in the history of music, in my humble - but nevertheless accurate - opinion.

journolud said:

Middle class revolt is one to avoid.Country on the click is a good album.I bought the cd after which I didnt rate much and not bought anything of the Fall since.

journolud said:
having seen them at Deeply Vale in 77 or 78 .

That's a blast from the past, as a kid I used to walk up through Ashy valley to Deeply Vale when the concerts were on.

Last years Imperial Wax Solvent was a brilliant album, apart from that as has been mentioned 'Country on the Click' is a top notch.

Favourite Fall albums though are:-

1) Bend Sinister
2) This Nations Saving Grace
3) Perverted by Language

Saw them at The Electric Circus around 1977, supported by the Adverts and 999. I was never really a fan but liked "central detention centre" ?????

I love code selfish. My bro in law introduced me to the fall, we were in his car and he said 'I'm gonna play you some stuff and you're gonna think 'what the fucking hell is this shit!?'' The on came the ringing bells and Mark E Smith giving me the 'wah wah wah wah wah' on birmingham school of business school, which is one of my favourite songs along with free range

I've loved the Fall ever since I saw a picture of my old primary school on the back cover of "Grotesque" when I was about 12. They filmed a video of "Container drivers" in the Red Lion, Prestwich and the video for "Ghost in my house" in the Woodthorpe next to Heaton Park. I've known Mark for years and spent many a session in his company. A top bloke Mr Smith. Anyway my fave Fall albums.

Grotesque
Nations saving grace
Perverted by language
I am kurious oranj
Extricate

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.