The Fan Ended Up Dead

edgecroft

Just turned on the Copa Libertadores quarterfinal between Vélez Sársfield of Argentina and Libertad of Paraguay and the announcer casually says, "I've just been told that there was a fan who was reluctant to be searched when entering the stadium. The police became involved, and the fan ended up dead."

WTF?

By the way, they're playing the game in Boca Juniors stadium and it's the weirdest looking sporting venue i've ever seen. One whole side goes straight up and is made up of private boxes that aren't being used with a huge row of spotlights along the top.

buenos_aires_bombonera6.jpg

Quick update, the announcer has spent much of the game explaining all of the various scandals going on in Argentinian football at the minute, there seem to be about 60 of them happening simutaneously!

The reason that Velez is using Boca Juniors' ground is that their last game was on a Monday, and the prosecutor that was on duty that day watching it on TV saw a bunch of Velez fans with flares, so he's having them arrested and has banned the team from using their own stadium for one game. Velez's defence is that people are using the exact same flares at every single other match in Argentina, why haven't any of those teams been punished. The explanation is that this prosecutor, the one who has a problem with the flares, doesn't work on the weekend. lol I guess we'll see next week if every other team is punished the same way.

Velez is winning 1-0 for far.

-- Thu May 12, 2011 9:09 pm --

Final update, Velez 3 - Libertad 0, second leg next week. Fan is still dead.

south american football is mental.I seen one ( on youtube) go to like 10 reds a piece and didn't a team get kidnapped/ a player got shot?

If you want to see an odd looking football ground check out bragas. it's a normal stadium at 3 ends then a big rock at the other.

And when Aalborg were building a new stand they put in hundreds of cardboard cut outs of people. it was very odd to see.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.