The fans let our team and manager down

I have been following City since the age of 10, I'm now nearly 50 years old and have held a season ticket for 36 years.
I've probably seen City at live games, both home and away more than 1200 times, in addition I have worked on matches at Owed Trafford more than 400 times over a twenty year period.
During the last 40 years I have visited some of the most atmospheric grounds in the country, grounds where the noise poured from the terraces onto the pitch and created incredible reverberating atmospheres which made the hairs on the back of your neck stand up.
Maine Road was one of those grounds, as was Owed Trafford, where often the noise created was incredible and could carry the team over the line.
Now, the North Stand and Platt lane stands (before it was rebuilt) even though they were all seater, still created a great amout of noise, the Kippax when all standing was just fabulous to hear in good voice.
It wasn't every match, but when it got going, my god did it.
Then the Kippax was rebuilt, that cut the stands vocal cords to a great extent, why I don't know, I think the last time I heard it in good voice was when Gary Neville fed the goat..!
Now, is it all seater stadiums that kills atmosphere?
Is it the type of fan that is now attracted to footall?
Is it the out of towners who travel from all over the country (don't get upset, you are all welcome, I did it for 2 years whilst working elsewhere)?
Is it the 'Tourists' as we call them?
Is it the stewarding who can pay too much attention to the fans behaviour, they are eveywhere and in numbers?
Is it because we sit next to granny or kids who we are affraid to upset by letting rip?
Is it the tactical game?
Is it the press anD TV coverage?
Is it the Cost?
Is it just too much of an event now, all the build up, all the reporting, are we fed up before we set foot in the ground?

We could blame a lot of things, but one thing must remain constant in my view and it is this......Average joe wants to go to the game, have a drink, shout for his team and go home happy, he wants to see the players sweat blood, get muddy, stop diving, have a ding dong with the opposition and ref without TV's putting them on trial, he wants to be with his mates, not watching over his shoulder for a steward to tell him to sit down or stop getting too excited.

I'm affraid a lot of that has gone from the matchday experience now, I feel sorry for fans who never experienced the Kippax, the smells and sights, being able to jump and shout and run off from the cop who was after giving you a ticking off, screaming for joy and ending up 50 feet from where you were before they scored.

Bring back standing, safe obviously as we can't ignore lessons learned from tragedy, but bring it back quick because the part fans play in the game is fast disapearing, and players want to play in front of that which the fans give to the game, that is atmosphere and support for them.

That is all....

Stretford Born Blue said:
I have been following City since the age of 10, I'm now nearly 50 years old and have held a season ticket for 36 years.
I've probably seen City at live games, both home and away more than 1200 times, in addition I have worked on matches at Owed Trafford more than 400 times over a twenty year period.
During the last 40 years I have visited some of the most atmospheric grounds in the country, grounds where the noise poured from the terraces onto the pitch and created incredible reverberating atmospheres which made the hairs on the back of your neck stand up.
Maine Road was one of those grounds, as was Owed Trafford, where often the noise created was incredible and could carry the team over the line.
Now, the North Stand and Platt lane stands (before it was rebuilt) even though they were all seater, still created a great amout of noise, the Kippax when all standing was just fabulous to hear in good voice.
It wasn't every match, but when it got going, my god did it.
Then the Kippax was rebuilt, that cut the stands vocal cords to a great extent, why I don't know, I think the last time I heard it in good voice was when Gary Neville fed the goat..!
Now, is it all seater stadiums that kills atmosphere?
Is it the type of fan that is now attracted to footall?
Is it the out of towners who travel from all over the country (don't get upset, you are all welcome, I did it for 2 years whilst working elsewhere)?
Is it the 'Tourists' as we call them?
Is it the stewarding who can pay too much attention to the fans behaviour, they are eveywhere and in numbers?
Is it because we sit next to granny or kids who we are affraid to upset by letting rip?
Is it the tactical game?
Is it the press anD TV coverage?
Is it the Cost?
Is it just too much of an event now, all the build up, all the reporting, are we fed up before we set foot in the ground?

We could blame a lot of things, but one thing must remain constant in my view and it is this......Average joe wants to go to the game, have a drink, shout for his team and go home happy, he wants to see the players sweat blood, get muddy, stop diving, have a ding dong with the opposition and ref without TV's putting them on trial, he wants to be with his mates, not watching over his shoulder for a steward to tell him to sit down or stop getting too excited.

I'm affraid a lot of that has gone from the matchday experience now, I feel sorry for fans who never experienced the Kippax, the smells and sights, being able to jump and shout and run off from the cop who was after giving you a ticking off, screaming for joy and ending up 50 feet from where you were before they scored.

Bring back standing, safe obviously as we can't ignore lessons learned from tragedy, but bring it back quick because the part fans play in the game is fast disapearing, and players want to play in front of that which the fans give to the game, that is atmosphere and support for them.

That is all....

in a nutshell, 100% spot on.

Amen Brother.

Sadly they will never let us live the dream ever again. :-(

i think the club should invest in 8,000 crash dummies and get the stewards to dress and seat them an hour before kick off. At least there will be 8,000 heads that dont leave early.

Think there may be a big difference between players being paid astronomical sums to show passion to the club and me paying astronomical sums to show passion to club whilst watching.

I think its the difference between "experienced" CL teams and inexperienced ones. The players, the manager, and most of the coaching staff for most of these clubs change every 5-10 years, but the fans are the constant. When Dortmund or Ajax come to Manchester and are louder and back their team more, it essentially becomes a home game for them.

Stoke city are a terrible team, but they somehow manage to bring down some of the biggest clubs at home. They also have some of the loudest fans cheering them on.

Vocal support from the fans matters about as much as the manager directing tactics on the sidelines. Any fan that walks out of the stadium with their voices intact is as much at fault for a poor performance as any single player or manager.<br /><br />-- Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:13 pm --<br /><br />
Stretford Born Blue said:

That is all....

I'm sure it would help some, but if you need to be smashed in a mob of fans to back your team then there is something else wrong here. There are not enough stewards on the ground that can stop 45000 people from making noise, singing, and backing their team however the fuck they feel like it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.