The Forgotten story of John Crossan

Thanks to both for posting, Jonny was -is one of many from this side of the irish sea to have wore the sky blue jersey over the year (with varying degres of success it has to be added), sadly i think it will be many years before we see Norn Iron internationals (or even RoI international) being of the standard we now enjoy watching.

(no, not sad that we are now seeing the some of the best in the world, just sad that we cannot produce decent players any more).

Alan Oakes Shinpads said:
He was one of my first heroes at City along with David Wagstaffe.Even had my hair cut in the same style as his !

Remember him as a cultured inside forward(attacking midfielder for the younger generation)who could put his foot in when required.

Sad when he went but agree that he wasn`t quite up to the First Division level required

Me too. He was a shining light amidst the gloom.

Alan Oakes Shinpads said:
He was one of my first heroes at City along with David Wagstaffe.Even had my hair cut in the same style as his !

Remember him as a cultured inside forward(attacking midfielder for the younger generation)who could put his foot in when required.

Sad when he went but agree that he wasn`t quite up to the First Division level required

My first real hero

Only seen City play on my birthday once. February 19th 1966. Played Coventry at Maine Rd, won 1-0. Guess who scored, yes Johnny Crossan. My favourite player in that team.

Johnny Crossan- one of my boyhood heroes along with Bobby Kennedy and who remembers Cliff Sear the 'founder' of the sliding tackle- oh what days but now is the best- we now have a really 'special' team.

Loved the guy. Memory might be playing tricks but after promotion I think the first home game was against Liverpool which we won 2-1(?). Murray and a Crossan header (?). Sure Liverpool were the champs the season before so it was a huge scalp. I thought we could beat anyone after that.

thanks for posting tueartsboots. i never knew the full story of his ban. at the time it was only ever mentioned in terms of crossan having had a life ban that had been rescinded but without any details.

he was a pivotal player for city at a difficult time, spanning the purgatory of season 1964-65 through promotion the following season & the first season back in the old 1st division the season after that. as one poster has already mentioned, sadly he wasn't quite good enough to keep playing for city in the top division but city fans should never underestimate his contribution over the relatively short period he was here.

kevodevo said:
Johnny Crossan- one of my boyhood heroes along with Bobby Kennedy and who remembers Cliff Sear the 'founder' of the sliding tackle- oh what days but now is the best- we now have a really 'special' team.

Cliff Sear's sliding tackles make Nige's attempts just a little short and stubby. On a wet pitch he'd be on his arse for twenty yards before the tackle went in, and then yer'd see a muddy streak across the turf. Great stuff.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.