The Full Members Cup

Mad Eyed Screamer

Today - 23rd March - is the 38th anniversary of City playing in the final or the much maligned Full Members Cup in 1986
I went to every City game throughout the tournament (all six of them')

The Full Members Cup was a new cup competition introduced for the 1985 / 86 season. English clubs were banned from European competitions after the Hysel Stadium disaster. The clubs who would have qualified for Europe played in a mini tournament between themselves, called the Screen Sport Super Cup - so the remaining 1st and 2nd Division clubs competed for the Full Members Cup.

The first stage was a round robin group of three teams per group, playing one game at home and one game away. The team at the top of each trio going through to the next stage.

City beat Leeds United at Maine Road 6-1 (Davies 3, Lillis, Power and Baker) in front of 4,029 fans.
Then Sheffield United were beaten at Bramall Lane 2-1 (Phillips and Baker) with 3,420 fans watching.
As a result City topped the Northern Group 1 and faced Sunderland at Maine Road in the Northern Semi Final.

A crowd of 6,642 turned up to watch a game lasting 120 minutes without a goal from either side. Penalties from Lillis, Reid, May and Power saw City victorious 4-3, with Power's last spot kick sparking a mini celebratory pitch invasion!

The Northern Final was a two legged affair between City and Hull City. At the 1st leg played at Boothferry Park, the Tigers won 2-1 (Phillips) in front of 5,213 fans. At Maine Road, 10,180 witnessed a last minute Jim Melrose winner (after Phillips had scored City's opener) preventing the game going into extra time - and City were in the final and going to Wembley!

On the 23rd March 1986, manager Billy McNeill led City out against Chelsea in front of a crowd of 65,236 fans. The earlier rounds may have been shunned but the final captured the imagination of both sets of fans.

Both teams had to play a regular 1st Division game the day before. Chelsea at Oxford United and City coming back from 2-0 down to draw 2-2 v Manchester United at Old Trafford.

At Wembley, Steve Kinsey put the Blues in front - before Chelsea (with a David Speedie hatrick) replied 5 times. In the final five minutes, City had second wind and Lillis scored twice on 85 and 89 minutes, with Chelsea centre half Doug Rougvie scoring an on goal in between Lillis's brace.
Sadly as City searched desperately for the equaliser, the whistle was.blown and Chelsea were the first winners of the Full Members Cup, winning 5-4.

The competition kept the name the following season, before being re-named the Simod Cup in the 1987 / 88 season. After two seasons, it became the Zenith Data Systems Cup which lasted for three further seasons and then the competition was discontinued due to the beginning.of the Premier League in August 1992.

Picture - Billy McNeill (far right) leads the team in red and black stripes out onto the Wembley Pitch.
full members cup final 1985 to 86 teams.jpg

Today - 23rd March - is the 38th anniversary of City playing in the final or the much maligned Full Members Cup in 1986
I went to every City game throughout the tournament (all six of them')

The Full Members Cup was a new cup competition introduced for the 1985 / 86 season. English clubs were banned from European competitions after the Hysel Stadium disaster. The clubs who would have qualified for Europe played in a mini tournament between themselves, called the Screen Sport Super Cup - so the remaining 1st and 2nd Division clubs competed for the Full Members Cup.

The first stage was a round robin group of three teams per group, playing one game at home and one game away. The team at the top of each trio going through to the next stage.

City beat Leeds United at Maine Road 6-1 (Davies 3, Lillis, Power and Baker) in front of 4,029 fans.
Then Sheffield United were beaten at Bramall Lane 2-1 (Phillips and Baker) with 3,420 fans watching.
As a result City topped the Northern Group 1 and faced Sunderland at Maine Road in the Northern Semi Final.

A crowd of 6,642 turned up to watch a game lasting 120 minutes without a goal from either side. Penalties from Lillis, Reid, May and Power saw City victorious 4-3, with Power's last spot kick sparking a mini celebratory pitch invasion!

The Northern Final was a two legged affair between City and Hull City. At the 1st leg played at Boothferry Park, the Tigers won 2-1 (Phillips) in front of 5,213 fans. At Maine Road, 10,180 witnessed a last minute Jim Melrose winner (after Phillips had scored City's opener) preventing the game going into extra time - and City were in the final and going to Wembley!

On the 23rd March 1986, manager Billy McNeill led City out against Chelsea in front of a crowd of 65,236 fans. The earlier rounds may have been shunned but the final captured the imagination of both sets of fans.

Both teams had to play a regular 1st Division game the day before. Chelsea at Oxford United and City coming back from 2-0 down to draw 2-2 v Manchester United at Old Trafford.

At Wembley, Steve Kinsey put the Blues in front - before Chelsea (with a David Speedie hatrick) replied 5 times. In the final five minutes, City had second wind and Lillis scored twice on 85 and 89 minutes, with Chelsea centre half Doug Rougvie scoring an on goal in between Lillis's brace.
Sadly as City searched desperately for the equaliser, the whistle was.blown and Chelsea were the first winners of the Full Members Cup, winning 5-4.

The competition kept the name the following season, before being re-named the Simod Cup in the 1987 / 88 season. After two seasons, it became the Zenith Data Systems Cup which lasted for three further seasons and then the competition was discontinued due to the beginning.of the Premier League in August 1992.

Picture - Billy McNeill (far right) leads the team in red and black stripes out onto the Wembley Pitch.
View attachment 111385
What have Billy McNeil's politics got to do with it?

Last edited:
Went with my dad a few uncles and cousins. Think there were about 12 of us piled in the back of a big transit van.
It was a birthday present, I was only 9 and as happy as a pig in shit until…
So the the fifth Chelsea goal goes in and I’m getting dragged back to the transit by an angry mob of uncles and thrown in the back and off we go for about 20 mins before stopping at a petrol station.
Next thing I hear a commotion and my dad and uncles are piling out going off their heads.
Next thing they come back in looking sheepish.
Turns out somebody had shouted unlucky to my dad when filling up and he thought they were taking the piss and was going off his head.
We had no idea we had pulled it back to 5-4 and the guys in the other car were being genuine!! Haha!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.