The gap and the benefit of a perfect start

Just looking again at the upcoming fixtures and I think here's what we should be hoping for.

Chelsea to beat Arse.
Arse to beat rags and either Leicester or Watford to nick a draw vs them.

Everton will be tough for the rags, but if the above results went our way, it would leave us going into derby weekend with only the rags even near us.

Obviously the most important thing is to keep some perspective, even baring in mind our fine start to the league campaign. However Chelsea are teetering on the edge and if they were to lose to Arsenal, and we were to beat West Ham, I would think that they would have little chance of turning that gap around even with the number of games left. Not necessarily because I don't think they can go in a serious winning streak, but because it would be ridiculous to expect them to go Sept - May after the Arsenal game undefeated. It's just too much ground for them to make up without us seriously collapsing, which I don't see happening this season.

Be interesting to see how Chelsea perform this weekend against Arsenal. They need the win but i don't see them getting it.

Okay, I know I'm getting waaay ahead of myself, but have a look at the upcoming fixtures for us and our competition.

Assume we can beat West Ham & Spurs next week, followed by Newcastle at home the following week.

A Chelsea win this week paired with a win for us versus West Ham would see us 8 points ahead of Arsenal and 11 ahead of Chelsea. An Arsenal win would see us 5 ahead of them, and 14 ahead of Chelsea, effectively killing Chelsea's hopes of retaining their title.

The following week we start the weekends games with the early game against Spurs. We've had great success in the recent past over them at White Hart Lane but I think even moreso this time we are a perfect mismatch for where they are at. So lets say we beat Spurs that week. Arsenal have an extremely tricky visit to Leicester and Chelsea are away to Newcastle in the late kickoff. Anything can happen this weekend, but it would be no surprise to see someone drop at least two points. As long as it isn't us, we could see ourselves with our lead increasing on one if not both teams.

Which brings us to the week of October 4th. We've a 3pm kickoff against Newcastle at home. That should be a winnable game at home if we perform to our levels.Chelsea have a late kickoff vs Southampton, and Arsenal play the rags. So Arsenal have another tricky tie.

So looking forward at those batch of fixtures and if we can win through it's very feasible to see us pull way ahead of Chelsea, possibly 10-12 points ahead of Arsenal or even have an 8 point lead over Arsenal & United.

The next 3 fixtures for us could be season defining with this in mind. I could possibly see us coming out of them with just the rags within 5 points of us, or possibly worse.

So blues, what do you think? How do we come out of it come October 5th?
One game at a time and all that but...

This sort of speculation is a helluva lot more fun than those April days when we were longing for a turn around in City's form and praying that six or seven other results might click, so that maybe, just maybe, with the help of God, two policemen and a fair wind, we might just avoid the drop.

So, of you wanna do it, have at it. You've no doubt earned the right too, Blue.
Me? I've been too well schooled in disappointment to play along.

Okay, I know I'm getting waaay ahead of myself, but have a look at the upcoming fixtures for us and our competition.

Assume we can beat West Ham & Spurs next week, followed by Newcastle at home the following week.

A Chelsea win this week paired with a win for us versus West Ham would see us 8 points ahead of Arsenal and 11 ahead of Chelsea. An Arsenal win would see us 5 ahead of them, and 14 ahead of Chelsea, effectively killing Chelsea's hopes of retaining their title.

The following week we start the weekends games with the early game against Spurs. We've had great success in the recent past over them at White Hart Lane but I think even moreso this time we are a perfect mismatch for where they are at. So lets say we beat Spurs that week. Arsenal have an extremely tricky visit to Leicester and Chelsea are away to Newcastle in the late kickoff. Anything can happen this weekend, but it would be no surprise to see someone drop at least two points. As long as it isn't us, we could see ourselves with our lead increasing on one if not both teams.

Which brings us to the week of October 4th. We've a 3pm kickoff against Newcastle at home. That should be a winnable game at home if we perform to our levels.Chelsea have a late kickoff vs Southampton, and Arsenal play the rags. So Arsenal have another tricky tie.

So looking forward at those batch of fixtures and if we can win through it's very feasible to see us pull way ahead of Chelsea, possibly 10-12 points ahead of Arsenal or even have an 8 point lead over Arsenal & United.

The next 3 fixtures for us could be season defining with this in mind. I could possibly see us coming out of them with just the rags within 5 points of us, or possibly worse.

So blues, what do you think? How do we come out of it come October 5th?

i think that tray of eggs that you were counting on as hatching, has just been trodden on!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.