The General Election Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gabriel said:
denislawsbackheel said:
Tristram Hunt
Appropriate rhyming slang

Talk about fiddling while Rome burns!

However I won't vote for a party that advocates flat rate tax, privatising the NHS and allows rich benefactors to buy a cabinet position.

Ukip are a joke.

Are those UKIP policies? Just looked on its site and that doesn't seem to be the case, and does it have cabinet positions? Where did you see this?

They do tend to change their mind a lot policy wise, i always discount the privatising the NHS argument from the left though, it tends to be bollocks depending on context, it is a desperate Labour smear they have used for the last 30 years at least

hilts said:
Gabriel said:
denislawsbackheel said:
Tristram Hunt
Appropriate rhyming slang

Talk about fiddling while Rome burns!

However I won't vote for a party that advocates flat rate tax, privatising the NHS and allows rich benefactors to buy a cabinet position.

Ukip are a joke.

Are those UKIP policies? Just looked on its site and that doesn't seem to be the case, and does it have cabinet positions? Where did you see this?

They do tend to change their mind a lot policy wise, i always discount the privatising the NHS argument from the left though, it tends to be bollocks depending on context, it is a desperate Labour smear they have used for the last 30 years at least

In the current political climate, I expect all parties to start shifting policies as they become attuned to the electorate.

UKIP is the answer to the current blandness of UK politics, and the arrogant assumptions of the main Westminster parties that we are so dumb we will put up with the crap they keep serving us, which is more of the same just a different suit.

I find their media unfriendly image to be quite refreshing as well, everything the other parties do in public is so scripted like they are selling soap powder!

Ducado said:
UKIP is the answer to the current blandness of UK politics, and the arrogant assumptions of the main Westminster parties that we are so dumb we will put up with the crap they keep serving us, which is more of the same just a different suit.

I find their media unfriendly image to be quite refreshing as well, everything the other parties do in public is so scripted like they are selling soap powder!

I was watching Farage before and he admitted that he said he felt uncomfortably sat in a train full of people not speaking english, now whether you find this statement appalling or not at least he said it and admitted saying it, can you imagine any MP for Labour or the Tories coming out with it, even if they thought it not a chance in hell

If you watch any politician nowadays they will do nothing other than tow the party line even when we all know they don't believe in what they are saying

Some will judge Farage as racist because of his comment and never vote for him
Some will try and see in what context he meant it
Some will think it racist and like him more for it

At least you have something to judge him on

Ducado said:

Yep. After the next election you can guarantee that we'll get a raft of "This result has clearly shown that we need to listen to the voters" before they go off and do exactly the same thing they did before.

Prestwich_Blue said:
Ducado said:

Yep. After the next election you can guarantee that we'll get a raft of "This result has clearly shown that we need to listen to the voters" before they go off and do exactly the same thing they did before.

Any politician who says they should listen more to the electorate should by law be punched squarely in the chops

When bright people are considering voting for UKIP i really do fear for the future of this country

hilts said:
Ducado said:

I was watching Farage before and he admitted that he said he felt uncomfortably sat in a train full of people not speaking english, now whether you find this statement appalling or not at least he said it and admitted saying it, can you imagine any MP for Labour or the Tories coming out with it, even if they thought it not a chance in hell

If you watch any politician nowadays they will do nothing other than tow the party line even when we all know they don't believe in what they are saying

Andrew Neil resurrected the comment, and Farage connected it to the idea that feeling thus was what many other people in the UK felt, but that the Westminster parties were too afraid to address the issue.

Think the main problem for UKIP is ensuring they have enough spokespeople who are sufficiently capable of addressing policy issues when vigorously interrogated. Even Farage looked uncomfortable today when grilled on Green Tax issues, and while it may be that we've just become accustomed to our politicians 'towing the line', politicians being unable to answer questions makes them appear ignorant and, ultimately, unelectable.

hilts said:
Completely disagree the rest of their policies are not relevant, they are made up just so if they get questioned they have an answer, UKIP will not gain power, they know it so do the voters, their aim is to get us out of europe, if they gain enough support to form a coalition with the tories they will want only one concession, a referendum on the EU

They are trying to force through one policy, no one who votes UKIP need worry about their other policies as they will never see the light of day

They are the equivalent of an online petition, enough people sign up for it and the big boys are forced to tackle the issue to save their own arses

You have massively oversimplified UKIP. They are a real political party with real candidates and real policies. They are not a single issue party any more and your idea of "protest voting" is something that they are actively attracting purely BECAUSE people think they're a single issue party.

The idea that any political party in the world can be summed up by one policy is just ridiculous and I'm sure many UKIP voters would agree.

Gabriel said:
hilts said:
Ducado said:

Andrew Neil resurrected the comment, and Farage connected it to the idea that feeling thus was what many other people in the UK felt, but that the Westminster parties were too afraid to address the issue.

Think the main problem for UKIP is ensuring they have enough spokespeople who are sufficiently capable of addressing policy issues when vigorously interrogated. Even Farage looked uncomfortable today when grilled on Green Tax issues, and while it may be that we've just become accustomed to our politicians 'towing the line', politicians being unable to answer questions makes them appear ignorant and, ultimately, unelectable.

I don't really know much about their members but not all of them appear to be career politicians so will certainly get tripped up on many details i would have thought, he really did struggle with the green tax question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.