The goalkeeper situation

Johnny Mars Bar

Team supported
St. Mark’s
With Eddie injured and his propensity to blow hot and cold, Ortega's contract situation and Ortega having proven time and time again he's good enough to be a number one, we're in a bit of a pickle.

Personally I'd like Pep and the club to work out a situation where we don't have a number one keeper. I'd like to see Eddie and Ortega rotated on a permanent basis. Clubs have done this before and if any club can successfully implement it, it'd be City.

I guess Eddie might not take it well but that'd be for Pep to manage, which I'm sure he could.

Any situation that sees Ortega leave in the summer has to weaken us significantly surely.

What do you reckon?

(and I'm not one of the Ederson bashers. I love him, but Ortega is just too good to be a backup / be allowed to walk out)

With Eddie injured and his propensity to blow hot and cold, Ortega's contract situation and Ortega having proven time and time again he's good enough to be a number one, we're in a bit of a pickle.

Personally I'd like Pep and the club to work out a situation where we don't have a number one keeper. I'd like to see Eddie and Ortega rotated on a permanent basis. Clubs have done this before and if any club can successfully implement it, it'd be City.

I guess Eddie might not take it well but that'd be for Pep to manage, which I'm sure he could.

Any situation that sees Ortega leave in the summer has to weaken us significantly surely.

What do you reckon?

(and I'm not one of the Ederson bashers. I love him, but Ortega is just too good to be a backup / be allowed to walk out)
Pep doesn't see it like that - multi-Golden Gloves and numerous other awards winner Eddie is absolutely pivotal to the way we play - Ortega's immense and good with his feet but Eddie's the extra outfield player Pep needs. Rotation to keep both GK's happy is a recipe for disaster. I'm old enough to remember the Shilton/Clemence England rotation that lasted for nearly ten years - both colossal GKs - our own big Joe getting very few opportunities. That period of rotation coincided with England not qualifying for a tournament for over ten years. Not saying the rotation caused England's qualification failures, but it didn't help the team - a team stacked with world class players.

Ortega's the best number 2 around and deserves to be a starter, but I don't think it will be with us. He has an interesting career history before joining us - mainly in the German lower divisions.

Pep doesn't see it like that - multi-Golden Gloves and numerous other awards winner Eddie is absolutely pivotal to the way we play - Ortega's immense and good with his feet but Eddie's the extra outfield player Pep needs. Rotation to keep both GK's happy is a recipe for disaster. I'm old enough to remember the Shilton/Clemence England rotation that lasted for nearly ten years - both colossal GKs - our own big Joe getting very few opportunities. That period of rotation coincided with England not qualifying for a tournament for over ten years. Not saying the rotation caused England's qualification failures, but it didn't help the team - a team stacked with world class players.

Ortega's the best number 2 around and deserves to be a starter, but I don't think it will be with us. He has an interesting career history before joining us - mainly in the German lower divisions.
Not to dismiss Ederson's record - he's brilliant - but Ortega would've won several golden gloves too in our first team.

GK rotation is unconventional I know but I do think that if anyone can make it work, it's Pep and City.

I can’t think of a single instance where a manager has successfully rotated goalkeepers.

England tried it briefly with Shilton and Clemence in the 80s and it was soon dropped. Brighton have apparently been doing it a bit this season. But it doesn’t look like it’s doing them much good.

No matter how similar in quality they might be, the manager must always slightly think one is better than the other at any given time.

Ederson is No. 1 and I’m 99% sure he will be next season. If Ortega can’t live with that then off he pops and we find someone else as backup.

I don't think Ortega would mind being Number 2 as long as he gets paid what he's after. Seems pennywise, pound foolish to me to go looking for a new number 2 rather than strike a deal with one who has already proved himself.
If he goes and I think he might I doubt it will be a financial decision.

What do you reckon?

"With Eddie injured and his propensity to blow hot and cold"

When did he start to blow hot and cold? He's been an incredibly consistent goalkeeper in his 7 seasons.

The injuries are a worry in terms of having a top class back up, and Ortega is that but is far too good to be a no2.

If it's down to money maybe we have to pay Ortega what he wants, for me goalkeeper is the most vital position in the team, if you don't have a good one, even if you have 10 wonderful outfield players, you will struggle.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.