The good old sunday roast.

I'm quite well travelled and have always tried local food wherever I've been and there is some really delicious food throughout the world. The thing i struggle with is how quick certain people are to mock British cuisine as bland and unexciting. I don't eat food to marvel at how fancy it looks and give it marks for artistic impression, I eat food for taste and satisfaction and a good British Sunday roast may be low on sophistication but often high on flavour. I'd like eateries to give the Sunday roast more respect because it seems to have lost it's way in recent years.

I'm quite well travelled and have always tried local food wherever I've been and there is some really delicious food throughout the world. The thing i struggle with is how quick certain people are to mock British cuisine as bland and unexciting. I don't eat food to marvel at how fancy it looks and give it marks for artistic impression, I eat food for taste and satisfaction and a good British Sunday roast may be low on sophistication but often high on flavour. I'd like eateries to give the Sunday roast more respect because it seems to have lost it's way in recent years.
Hawksmoor and the square Albert both do a good Sunday roast mate.

Bloody love a roast. And even the nicest pub ones aren't a patch on home made.

Did a lovely topside of beef yesterday but forgot to make the Yorkshire puds! Amateur hour.

The mrs is veggie and doesn't like roasts so whenever I do one it's always just for myself.

Cooked breakfast and roast on a Sunday but two previous Sundays were so hot a roast didn't seem appetising. One or two special things like Chateaubriand became very special things for the dog when the freezer packed up.
Yesterday was cooler but found we were out of the roast habit.
So next week we must get back on track. It's been traditional all my live. Reminds me of us crowding round my dad asking for the 'Burnt' when he came home from the Legion late and his meal came out of the oven.

I'll back you up here. We could be forgiven for thinking we had stumbled onto a vampire enthusiast forum. I for one am not afraid to say bien cuit, even on the Haussmanised boulevards of gay Paris.
Had a meal at a Flunch cafe at a Leclercs hypermarket in Cognac (think Asda but a lot bigger), and ordered burger and fries for myself and my good lady - gourmet dining at it's finest. I noticed that most of the locals were ordering it as "a point", meaning wave it near the grill and put it on a plate still mooing. I said to the chef " nous sommes Anglais - tres bien cuit, svp". He gave me a funny look, and kept asking me if it was cooked enough. Eventually, I nodded - much to his relief.
I prefer my food cooked, not raw, as most adverts tend to show meat that I would put back in the oven/grill and finish off. If I do a casserole, I have le Creuset-type pot, and a minimum 5 hours under a low 150 degrees C must elapse, stirring hourly, before it's ready to eat. (old boots take 6.5 hours)

Shite. Last thing I'd pick to cook or eat. Unless, somebody else is making it. Absolute fucking chore to knock a decent one out.

Had a meal at a Flunch cafe at a Leclercs hypermarket in Cognac (think Asda but a lot bigger), and ordered burger and fries for myself and my good lady - gourmet dining at it's finest. I noticed that most of the locals were ordering it as "a point", meaning wave it near the grill and put it on a plate still mooing. I said to the chef " nous sommes Anglais - tres bien cuit, svp". He gave me a funny look, and kept asking me if it was cooked enough. Eventually, I nodded - much to his relief.
I prefer my food cooked, not raw, as most adverts tend to show meat that I would put back in the oven/grill and finish off. If I do a casserole, I have le Creuset-type pot, and a minimum 5 hours under a low 150 degrees C must elapse, stirring hourly, before it's ready to eat. (old boots take 6.5 hours)
I believe that if you point to the sole of your shoe at the same time as saying "bien cuit", a French chef will get your drift.

Of course this may only work with leather-soled footwear, I admit.

Never made one at home, never would too much messing about.

Do like going our for one though as long as it’s somewhere decent. Edinburgh Castle and Counter House in Ancoats are 2 of my current favourites and Hearth of the Ram in Ramsbottom is always great.

The state of some of the roasts you see posted on peoples social media when they go to their mums or a shitty pub, should be charged with treason.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.