The Hounding of David Oluwale

When The Levee Breaks

I have been reading up on an extremely tragic story from the late 60's, in Leeds. It involves West Yorkshire Police (long before the Yorkshire Ripper ran rings around them) and the harassment by 2 WYP Inspectors and then sadly, the death by drowning in the River Aire of a Nigerian man known as David Oluwale.

There's a link to the story here; Death of David Oluwale - Wikipedia

Leeds City Council have recently unveiled a bridge that crosses the River Aire and named it the David Oluwale Bridge. There was also a blue plaque erected, near the spot where David entered the river, on the night he sadly died.

The plaque was placed there on Monday 25th April at 7pm and then was stolen sometime between 21.30-22.00 the same day!! David Oluwale: Blue bridge plaque theft treated as hate crime - BBC News

Such a terrible story and all because he wanted to live a better life in the UK. I find it so sad how after all this time, someone can still contain so much hate for someone they probably never met, that they could feel compelled to do this :-(

How any person can act like this in 2022 is beyond me. What goes through their tiny racist minds that makes them think this is a good idea ?
The original story is so sad, doing this is beneath contempt.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.