The influence of Pep on English football lower leagues

SambaStyle

Look at these stats.

12 teams in the Championship this season averaging over 80% passing accuracy, 4 teams averaging 500+ short passes per game, 12 teams averaging 400+ short passes per game.

Mind blowing.

Now...

2015/2016 stats (year before Pep)

0 teams averaging 80% passing accuracy. 0 teams averaging 500+ short passes per game, 1 team averaging 400+ short passes per game.

Quite incredible.

Last edited:
Not just professional football either.

I played at a pretty decent level of amateur football and even a bit of semi pro for a whole host of different clubs over about 15 years.

Probably could count the number of goalkicks that weren’t just leathered as far as the ‘keeper could kick them on one hand in all that time. Maybe a bit of an exaggeration but not by that much.

These days, you walk through a park on a Saturday or Sunday morning and there’s a game going on, pretty fair chance that one or both teams will be trying to play it out whenever they can. And virtually all the kids are.

I watched St. Pauli last night while Mrs Moon had her Strictly fix.

It was just like watching us passing the ball out/all round the field but a little quicker in the final third.

It goes down to kids football
In my sons u9 league the opposition have to retreat into their own half when we have a goal kick to allow the defenders to play it out.
Years ago it was the biggest lad who could twat it furthest took goal kicks

So, what you're saying is that football is boring at all levels now? The Rags and Dippers reckon we're boring, so by extension they must hate all football in England now.

As well as Pep, the improvement in the pitches has had an enormous influence at least at pro levels. No more mud baths

I think Peps influence is fucking a lot of teams up, they don’t realise that to play the way City do, takes amazing ability, supreme confidence and top notch spatial awareness… Teams at that level don’t have that skill set..
I watch the football league show regularly and it’s comical watching some teams try to play the Pep way….
Fair play to em for trying though ..

Not just professional football either.

I played at a pretty decent level of amateur football and even a bit of semi pro for a whole host of different clubs over about 15 years.

Probably could count the number of goalkicks that weren’t just leathered as far as the ‘keeper could kick them on one hand in all that time. Maybe a bit of an exaggeration but not by that much.

These days, you walk through a park on a Saturday or Sunday morning and there’s a game going on, pretty fair chance that one or both teams will be trying to play it out whenever they can. And virtually all the kids are.
To be fair goal kicks at kids level the opponent has to go back to there own half so they can play out but totally agree with you. As a 5’6” midfielder I used to come off with a stiff neck from watching it sail over my head for half a game.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.