The Internet costs

MATCITY

Now there could be a really simple answer to this but...

Why does higher speed internet cost more money?

Are you just paying for a better product or are there higher costs in providing a speedier service

Well higher speed usually means better cable. And that stuff aint cheap.

MATCITY said:

Are you just paying for a better product or are there higher costs in providing a speedier service

I would of thought it is a way of re-couping development costs.

Spoke to talk talk this morning about an issue i had with a router and out of the blue the operator said would you like me to reduce the bill for 6 mnth... now let me think!
Only 2 mnth into a new 18 mnth contract, renewed it and got a tenner a month knocked off and they are sending me the latest fibre optic router.

MATCITY said:

I think they have to use more magic.

Slow basic internet access uses infrastructure that is already there (copper lines what you get you telephone service over)
High speed internet will usually need infrastructure upgrade

As mentioned, slower internet over here uses copper wire that's already there...

Quicker Fibre optic internet uses cabling which needs to be rolled out more across the country, so the price you pay will cover these costs as well as providing you with a product that's alot better.

Like comparing a Ferrari with a Mini Metro.

Seoul in S korea is light years ahead of us. I think they get nearly 1 GPS for about £6 pm or something. Rip off Britain strikes again.

Thing is...when the infrastucture is in place to supply all users with fibre optic will the price come down? Will it fuck.

Edit: heres a tip to get cheaper broadband. Phone your supplier and ask them for your mac address. They'll ask you what for and you tell them you have a better deal from a different provider. Dunno how it works with other ISP's but BT knocked a tenner a month off the going rate for me just to keep my custom. I now pay £10 less a month for the going rate of option 3.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.