The Jam

There is a 2015 documentary called "The Jam: About the young idea" that plays on Showtime (at least that is where I DVR'd it from). 90 minutes of history and what the band meant to some fans and the band themselves, with current interviews with them...individually, of course! Martin Freeman (The Office, Sherlock) is a huge fan and is one of the fans featured. One of the lads is from Manchester and he talks about going to a gig at The Apollo that I went to as well!

Brilliant!

Down in the Tube Station at Midnight
Strange Town
When You're Young
Going Underground
Smithers-Jones....sound track to the best years of my life!!!

Also, some of the best lyrics I have ever heard/read...
Documentary is excellent but Martin Freeman? Do me a favour. He was 3 when the Jam formed and 9 when they were at the peak of their powers. He's no idea about The Jam! Lots of this on documentaries though, people who weren't alive or were very young, talking about what an influence some band or some sporting event had on them. Its all bollocks..

Loved The Jam. Had a few albums of theirs at the end of the 70's, and even today many of their tracks/singles sound so fresh. The lyrics were fantastic, and the sheer energy and passion in Weller's voice encapsulated how it felt to be young at that time.

Class band, this thread has inspired me to listen to my favourite album, Sound Affects, really takes me back to my mod days. Black and white shoes, fishtail parkas, gorgeous modettes, those were the days ;).

Documentary is excellent but Martin Freeman? Do me a favour. He was 3 when the Jam formed and 9 when they were at the peak of their powers. He's no idea about The Jam! Lots of this on documentaries though, people who weren't alive or were very young, talking about what an influence some band or some sporting event had on them. Its all bollocks..

You're right, all those people who love classical music are posers and wannabees! ;-)

And, you're going to love the 15-16 year old fanzine writer (lives, eats and breathes Weller and The Jam), who interviews Weller in the documentary!

I was born in 72 and was a huge fan; I think it was a bit weird back then and not at all unusual to be into them at a very young age. It was a little bit obsessive, writing the words onto paper from the tape recordings, memorising them and searching for meaning ...

I got into The Style Council first and obsessed about them first before finding The Jam. Gems of songs everywhere on each album, different genre's, moods but always Weller.

I got into The Style Council first and obsessed about them first before finding The Jam. Gems of songs everywhere on each album, different genre's, moods but always Weller.

As John Weller used to say 'the best fu***ng band in the world' and he was not wrong.
Went to the exhibition in Somerset House last year and it was mega.
Didn't we have a nice time..

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.