The Jessica Ennis Stand

Vienna_70

Team supported
Treble Winners 2022/23.
Sheffield Blades have renamed on of their stands after the Olympic Heptathlon champion.

Jessica and her family are life-long Blades supporters.

Is this the first example of a club naming a stand after a person who has no footballing connection to it, other than supporting the club?

Vienna_70 said:
Sheffield Blades have renamed on of their stands after the Olympic Heptathlon champion.

Jessica and her family are life-long Blades supporters.

Is this the first example of a club naming a stand after a person who has no footballing connection to it, other than supporting the club?

I was thinking the same...great gesture all the same if they are hard core blades..

Dubai Blue said:
greasedupdeafguy said:
What a joke lol, why not name a stand after one of there legends?
Exactly. Completely bemused by this.

Loads of free press and after all they can change it again next year and nobody is going to give a toss in fact if they do change it to a legends name more people will be happier than sadder. Winner winner chicken dinner for a club in the third tier of football, free press, piggy back off the good feeling of the olympics and maybe get a few extra fans along to see the new jessica ennis stand which has been there since the stadium was built. Good thinking by somebody their end if you ask me

Seems to be a decision that's on the back of an overenthusiasm towards Olympic furore.

In a few years time this will seem a daft move. I already think its a bit lame.

Think of all the club legends who have played for The Blades and someone from a minority sport who the media overuse as a pin-up for British athletics (loads just as, if not moreso, deserving to get the attention she gets) has been given this accolade?
Not for me!

I'd give her one. I think it's right, getting back on topic, it's all about local pride, Jessica Ennis is local pride and and an Olympian champion. Some of you lot would prefer a Brian Gayle memorial stand I swear!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.