The Joy of Six: Title-race turning points (Guardian Article)

macmanson

An interesting read on the Guardian site.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2011/mar/25/joy-of-six-title-race-turning-points

Relevant city part is this section:

4) Manchester City 1-2 Stoke City (1 April 1972)

Asprilla took the lion's share of the blame for Newcastle's capitulation in 1996 – unfairly, in these eyes – but even if we accept his total culpability for the sake of argument, his negative impact wasn't in the same ballpark as Rodney Marsh's infamous move from Queens Park Rangers to Manchester City in March 1972.

When Marsh joined, hours before the transfer deadline, City were four points clear at the top of the table. His initial impact was outstanding ... on the Maine Road gate receipts, anyway, as a 53,000-plus crowd, 10,000 above that season's average, turned up for his debut against Chelsea. "His first touch of the ball, clocked at five minutes, was spectacular, a gliding effortless dribble which took him with ease past three Chelsea players," reported the Guardian. "Twice in the first half, headers caused Peter Bonetti embarrassment, and it looked as if he was settling in well." Here we go. "After half-time his game fell apart. He was guilty of an unforgivable miss when a tired brain and leaden legs failed to co-ordinate in front of an invitingly empty goal. Finally, he was overtaken by cramp." Nevertheless, City scratched out a 1-0 win. Marsh went back to London that night aboard the Chelsea bus.

The following week saw City eke out a dismal goalless draw at Newcastle. Marsh's contribution was "minimal", according to the Guardian scribe, who added that "rarely have Lee and Davies contributed so little". It was noted, however, that the player's fitness had greatly improved. There were no excuses left to hide behind, and in the next game, it became apparent that Marsh's wing wizardry was repeatedly holding up City's speedy counterattacking moves. Stoke won 2-1 at Maine Road as Marsh trudged around "looking unhappy with his form". Suddenly, City looked a busted flush, the coach Malcolm Allison unsure whether to play his £200,000 showpiece signing or bench him. Marsh flitted in and out of the starting XI as City lost at Southampton and Ipswich, their title hopes in tatters.

"When I joined City they were a well-oiled machine," said Marsh years later. "I provided star quality, but it was to the detriment of team play. They started to play around me and we lost the focus of what we were trying to do. I hold my hand up to say I was responsible for City losing the championship in 1972." Ah well, at least he's honest.

Not to often would you see a modern player admit they had a negative effect on the team like that. It would be anyone else's fault but there own.

i remember it well, the key was wynn davies,he was the one who was holding it all together making deep runs also holding play, it was the biggest tactical blunder ever commited at this club to drop wynn, so what do they do let united have him??/

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.