The Kippax

the one at the corner of Yewtree/Cooper street next to the allotment became police houses, i dont recall it being smelly. The one next to the railway/stinky brook was the one i meant. Truly awful whiff. It was there before the war, my dear old ma used to pass it on her way to work at the Co-op on Platt Lane. In those days each district had an abattoir and were said to be as bad.
I remember above that co-op in the late 60s a club called the Popin,soft drinks only plenty of music and nice young girls,missed my last 53 bus back to Gorton many times.

I remember above that co-op in the late 60s a club called the Popin,soft drinks only plenty of music and nice young girls,missed my last 53 bus back to Gorton many times.
Don't forget Mr Scott's shop on Platt Lane, when the height of mischief was to go in and say, "How much are your ha'penny chews, Mr Scott?"

Used to sometimes drink in The Gardeners Arms before and after home games, always thought it quite ironic being in a road called 'Victory' Street. Pretty much 'staggering distance' to the Kippax turnstiles from there wasn't it?
Other times I'd meet mates in The Friendship in Fallowfield,(seemed quite a trek from there after a lunchtime session.)
When my daughter was living in Fallowfield a couple of years back I popped in before a midweek home match. It was the first time I'd been back since the 90s, the locals all looked pretty 'familiar' just more grey and with bigger beer guts. Still a bit of a' City boozer' I believe by all accounts.
Used to live next door to the Gardeners at 23 Victory Street. We left in 1974 and the pub was extended and amalgamated with my old house. We also had the social club on the other side

That Co-op was there until about 1983/4 when I used to go in as a nipper with my mum. I remember going upstairs for Xmas parties.

I recall it changing its name to One Stop for a few years in the late 80s?

You too!
First pint as 16 year old in the Gardeners.
Later the Fallowfield became our Saturday night boozer.
Us FOCs knew how to live.

My mate stole the big City badge from outside the City Social club back in 1990 and had it mounted on his bedroom wall.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.