The Labour Government

The problem for Reeves with fuel duty is cars are more economical these days and we have electric cars. I suspect she’ll be more tempted to look at pay per mile. Given the unfair nature of fuel duty (you pay tax on tax) I’d like to see a much fairer system where we pay a fixed cost to register your car each year (around £500) with a pay per mile on main roads and remove fuel duty entirely. Obviously HGVs and the such would have some other fixed cost and potentially per mile rate to pay.

It’ll be far simpler to implement and far more transparent- I suspect it will make people question if they need to travel far more than the current model as it’s much clearer how much each mile costs.
Not to sure how you’d charge people per mile, i do 25k plus a year, the last car i sold had 123k on clock yet when i was resold only had 97k on clock less than a thousand miles higher than its previous MOT.

These hard-working mums and dads can simply drink less high street coffee and get rid of their Netflix subscription. Maybe not have a wide screen telly and/or sky tv and all will be fine for them.
That’s what the genuine poor have been told for the last 14 years. Sauce for the goose etc.
Classic bitter Labour supporter. Happy so long as others are worse off. What a great attitude you have.

Not to sure how you’d charge people per mile, i do 25k plus a year, the last car i sold had 123k on clock yet when i was resold only had 97k on clock less than a thousand miles higher than its previous MOT.

They’d need to use ANPR type cameras like they’ll have on the M6 toll. Will need to put up cameras on all the main roads. You’ll pay more the more you drive but you do that anyway through fuel duty. The problem with the uptake in electric or hybrids is the state lose that fuel duty revenue when they running on battery power. It needs to be fair as always.

You won’t get clocked on minor roads. The risk is it sends traffic off main roads to avoid the per mile charge of course.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.