The Labour Party

Interesting challenge lies ahead for Labour now. They know they won’t get a general election any time soon, save for unforeseen circumstances, which means they will have to keep the heat on the new prime minister and his team. It is also unlikely that the mayhem will continue amongst the Conservatives, so it is going to be quite strange returning to ‘normal’ politics, based on policies rather than on myriad distractions.

Interesting challenge lies ahead for Labour now. They know they won’t get a general election any time soon, save for unforeseen circumstances, which means they will have to keep the heat on the new prime minister and his team. It is also unlikely that the mayhem will continue amongst the Conservatives, so it is going to be quite strange returning to ‘normal’ politics, based on policies rather than on myriad distractions.
It’s all going to depend on people’s memories now I think, which will make it close.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we don’t see a coalition in 2024.

I wonder if Starmer will grant the SNP a referendum in favour of a coalition? Probably not

Yes - but they know tories are all over the shop with rifts and internal strife. Labour just need to nudge and poke the bear. Some stuff has massive public opposition - like fracking or free ports.

It’s all going to depend on people’s memories now I think, which will make it close.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we don’t see a coalition in 2024.

I wonder if Starmer will grant the SNP a referendum in favour of a coalition? Probably not
True. Much will depend on what happens in the next 18 months, and whether the Conservatives can recapture some of their reputation and claw back some points in the opinion polls. Some of that will inevitably happen, particularly if they can avoid the self-inflicted wounding, but that will put pressure on Labour to keep it together, too.

Yes - but they know tories are all over the shop with rifts and internal strife. Labour just need to nudge and poke the bear. Some stuff has massive public opposition - like fracking or free ports.
Yes, but as I mentioned in another thread, that mayhem will probably not last now, so Labour will see its ‘lead’ shrink and when that happens, maintaining its own discipline will be key. Interesting times for different reasons.

Yes, but as I mentioned in another thread, that mayhem will probably not last now, so Labour will see its ‘lead’ shrink and when that happens, maintaining its own discipline will be key. Interesting times for different reasons.
Sunak certainly a more difficult challenge than Boris or truss. I still think labour will win the next GE wether it's in two weeks or two years, but now starmer finds himself confronting a fellow neo liberal 'centrist' rather that an outright Tory right winger (at least in terms of presentation) he will have to fight to gain a workable majority. Much easier against Boris or truss when he could just stay quiet and sit on his hands while they humiliated themselves.

I tried to listen to a couple of the Labour reactions last night but it reminded me why I stopped listening to any politicians after Brexit. Why can they not have a proper debate on Issues rather than just making shit up to create a false perception. Yvette Cooper was getting pressed on what Labour would do in response to the financial crisis. Her final answer was that the Tories have made everyone's mortgages more expensive. Either she is not clever enough to understand the macro-economic factors that have led to the recent inflation or maybe she thinks the general population are not clever enough, either way, I'm out!

I tried to listen to a couple of the Labour reactions last night but it reminded me why I stopped listening to any politicians after Brexit. Why can they not have a proper debate on Issues rather than just making shit up to create a false perception. Yvette Cooper was getting pressed on what Labour would do in response to the financial crisis. Her final answer was that the Tories have made everyone's mortgages more expensive. Either she is not clever enough to understand the macro-economic factors that have led to the recent inflation or maybe she thinks the general population are not clever enough, either way, I'm out!
They have made people's mortgages more expensive?

Sunak certainly a more difficult challenge than Boris or truss. I still think labour will win the next GE wether it's in two weeks or two years, but now starmer finds himself confronting a fellow neo liberal 'centrist' rather that an outright Tory right winger (at least in terms of presentation) he will have to fight to gain a workable majority. Much easier against Boris or truss when he could just stay quiet and sit on his hands while they humiliated themselves.
I would have agreed with you up until he appointed Braverman which has demonstrated the same lack of judgment apparent in his predecessors. No reason to believe he won’t continue to get things spectacularly wrong.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.