The last three seasons of the Manchester Derby

jimbopm said:
Obviously the 1-6 was a glorious day and the best ever derby performance i've seen in my life time.

Curiously though, I've never been more proud of the team than when we lost to the 2-3 in the FA cup a couple of years back. 3-0 down at half-time and Kompany sent off purely because of Shrek goading the referee, our second half performance with 10 men was absolutely stunning. When we got it back to 3-2 and were dominating the game, United had no answers and were clinging on for dear life. The TV coverage cut to the united supporters in the away end and you could see how shit scared they were. We were so unlucky not to take it to a replay.

In the 1-6 game they were shellshocked, bemused and in denial. In this game I believe it actually dawned on them just what we had become and that their crown had fell off.
My sentiments entirely good post mate

Didsbury Dave said:
Tricky_Trev said:
The explanation for our recent dominance is simple. Midfield. They had a shit one. We have Yaya, Fernandinho, Silva etc. They couldn't get near us in midfield and couldn't retain possession like we can. Next season's games will be a lot closer if they sign someone like Vidal. So I'm hoping that that transfer will prove to be impossible for them.

Dead right trev, but also their back four can't cope with the pace or movement of our attackers. It will take more than a midfielder to bridge that gap.

I think we have probably reached the point now, given Rooney's patchy form, where not a single one of their players would get in our first team.
Something else I would add is that we have been better tactically than them recently, even with Taggart as their manager. The rags have ALWAYS had just 2 players in the centre of the park. On the flip side, City use modern tactics, that being to swamp the centre of the pitch to control the game and leave the width to fullbacks. Our 'wingers' are Nasri and Silva who play centrally all the time. Then there's Yaya and Fernandinho, plus the fact that Aguero likes to drop deep and get involved in build up play. So at times we have outnumbered them 5 to 2. Hence they couldn't get the ball off us. From now on we'll find it more difficult to dominate like that because Van Gaal employs more modern tactics than Moyes and Bacon Face. I really don't expect any more thrashings next season, but providing they don't make 3 or 4 exceptional signings, we should still prove to be the better team.

citymad said:
Gutted we ain't going to be facing Moyes again. It's going be a different kettle fish with van gaal. The usual 6 points ain't going to happen very often from now on.

Is it wrong that I anticipate a more competitive derby? At the end of the Moyes reign, the derbies almost got predictable.

I look forward to the challenge

I'm with Tricky Trev on this one- Van Gaal will be a completely different proposition.

Maybe not next season, but in the coming seasons we'll see a modern footballing side rather than a bastard blend of make shift players and the dregs of their unrivaled financial domination of years gone by.

Of course we'll respond in kind but they will come back strongly. As will Arsenal.

We've had it very good the last few years and really should have had 3 titles because we've had that much more talent than the other teams.

Blue Haze said:
citymad said:
Gutted we ain't going to be facing Moyes again. It's going be a different kettle fish with van gaal. The usual 6 points ain't going to happen very often from now on.

Is it wrong that I anticipate a more competitive derby? At the end of the Moyes reign, the derbies almost got predictable.

I look forward to the challenge
I'm looking forward to them spunking £150m and us still humiliating them.

ManCityX said:
image.jpg

Stupendous!

[/Quinn]

Corrected your mistake ;)

Tricky_Trev said:
Didsbury Dave said:
Tricky_Trev said:
The explanation for our recent dominance is simple. Midfield. They had a shit one. We have Yaya, Fernandinho, Silva etc. They couldn't get near us in midfield and couldn't retain possession like we can. Next season's games will be a lot closer if they sign someone like Vidal. So I'm hoping that that transfer will prove to be impossible for them.

Dead right trev, but also their back four can't cope with the pace or movement of our attackers. It will take more than a midfielder to bridge that gap.

I think we have probably reached the point now, given Rooney's patchy form, where not a single one of their players would get in our first team.
Something else I would add is that we have been better tactically than them recently, even with Taggart as their manager. The rags have ALWAYS had just 2 players in the centre of the park. On the flip side, City use modern tactics, that being to swamp the centre of the pitch to control the game and leave the width to fullbacks. Our 'wingers' are Nasri and Silva who play centrally all the time. Then there's Yaya and Fernandinho, plus the fact that Aguero likes to drop deep and get involved in build up play. So at times we have outnumbered them 5 to 2. Hence they couldn't get the ball off us. From now on we'll find it more difficult to dominate like that because Van Gaal employs more modern tactics than Moyes and Bacon Face. I really don't expect any more thrashings next season, but providing they don't make 3 or 4 exceptional signings, we should still prove to be the better team.
They need to make 7(seven, sorry Brazil ;) ) exceptional signings to be in the same ballpark as ourselves, 3 or 4 will just put them back in contention for a possible top 4 finish.

ColinLee said:
Tricky_Trev said:
Didsbury Dave said:

They need to make 7(seven, sorry Brazil ;) ) exceptional signings to be in the same ballpark as ourselves, 3 or 4 will just put them back in contention for a possible top 4 finish.

They won't go for 7 in one hit. That's too many for a new manager to integrate. Mancio took 6 in one window I recall and we did improve but some of them fell by the wayside - think Boateng was one and a few others took at least a season to settle, Kolarov being one.

They need 2 central defenders, a holding midfielder and probably another top quality striker as the girl could easily get injured and fatboy has definitely lost his hunger (for the ball not for kebabs).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.