The Main Stand RIP

mcfc_ms said:
My earliest memories of watching city are from sitting in the main stand in front of the police cctv room building, with one goal blocked by a big concrete post

Luxury, we could see both goals :(

fwiw the corrugated roof panels are in a field in Chelford being used as some form of shelter for animals. come to think of it not such a change :)
went back in after a match to look for some keys, ankle deep in dimps and baccy packets and matches, it was ok though, they hadnt invented passive smoking then.

riggymcfc123 said:
Good read that mate
Just one thing though...I'm sure it was John Bond who jumped over the tunel, to console his son Kevin after we knocked Norwich out of the cup in 81?

I think you might be right. It was definitely televised. Bond used to sit in the stand to get a better view - I've always wondered why managers don't do that any more. You can't see anything from pitch level.

levets said:
Great read mate..
Used to come in there, up the stairs... turn left, left again and my seat was on the right.

Was in there from about 1988 - 1995 (when new Kippax opened)..

The stairs to nowhere? What was that all about?

Away lads thinking it was safe in the main stand.. how wrong :-)

They used to sell badges.. Circular crest with 'A' Block on it...

Apart from letting Coventry do a number on you;-)

1_barry_conlon said:
levets said:
Great read mate..
Used to come in there, up the stairs... turn left, left again and my seat was on the right.

Hahahaha - was just thinking that. Although some old timers stood to repel the invasion...

I think revenge was had outside the North Stand that day, to be fair.

I'd fucked off home myself. Heard the Goater goal go in from the street outside.

Didsbury Dave said:
riggymcfc123 said:
Good read that mate
Just one thing though...I'm sure it was John Bond who jumped over the tunel, to console his son Kevin after we knocked Norwich out of the cup in 81?

I think you might be right. It was definitely televised. Bond used to sit in the stand to get a better view - I've always wondered why managers don't do that any more. You can't see anything from pitch level.

It was Bond. We'd beaten them 6-0, with six different scorers and he dropped down from the director's box and twisted (didn't break) his ankle (as riggy said) he wanted to console Kevin.

They did get a shoeing outside but as you said it was rather amusing watching the marauding Coventry hordes go for it.

Didsbury Dave said:
1_barry_conlon said:
levets said:
Great read mate..

Hahahaha - was just thinking that. Although some old timers stood to repel the invasion...

I'd fucked off home myself. Heard the Goater goal go in from the street outside.

1_barry_conlon said:
They did get a shoeing outside but as you said it was rather amusing watching the marauding Coventry hordes go for it.

Didsbury Dave said:
1_barry_conlon said:

Sven was at that game in his capacity as England manger, although I'm struggling who on earth he'd be looking at.

1_barry_conlon said:

Didsbury Dave said:
1_barry_conlon said:

Here y'are BArry.

Coventry Legion v MCFC Main Stand

_38559429_disorder300.jpg

1_barry_conlon said:
levets said:
Great read mate..

Don't be silly...

And by the way... that was after the Kippax was re built (27/01/2001), Goater scored in the 90th min!! Read what I said .. from 1988-1995 i was in A block.... ;-)<br /><br />-- Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:32 pm --<br /><br />
Didsbury Dave said:
1_barry_conlon said:

Didsbury Dave said:

Here y'are BArry.

Coventry Legion v MCFC Main Stand

_38559429_disorder300.jpg

Yeah... look at the city lads... they're all running away....

I hated the Maine stand. It looked well out dated and cost far too much to sit in and watch a game with a pillar in your way. When I first started going to games with my mates at 16/17 it was £7 to go in the North Stand where you could act all cool with the hard men and singers. That was brilliant but on the odd occasion it was sold out we'd have to sit in J block of the Maine Stand and pay 32 fucking quid to be bored senseless by moaning old bastards sat around me. Now I'm 30 I am the moaning bastard!

FWIW The Mirror journalist was attacked the Saturday after the midweek game v Mansfield in the Auto Windscreen after he published a photo comparing Maine Rd and Old Trafford after we had 3007 fans on a night they were hosting a Champions League game. Happy days!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.