The Manchester City Diaspora

fbloke

After so many lost seasons and the eroding of the traditional mainstay of City support across the North West it is inevitable that the rump of the older fans are now spread further afield.

The work is of course being done to reconnect City with the local communities and increase the 'brand awareness' close to 'home' but it will take time before that will result in a full COMS each and every game.

In the more immediate, short term it will take something pretty special to create the desire for some to travel to COMS from afar (at fair expense it must be said).

But that's the challenge for others to sort out.

What I am wondering is how many Blues are out there ready to put there hands in their pockets?

I hear what you are saying but with thriving supporters clubs across the country, it will take something drastic for attendances to start dwindling.

Add to that, dare I say, a trophy and more and more will be attracted to City and the club are going to be doing their utmost to ensure that kids local to CoMS are given the chance to be able to afford to attend home games.

Uwes Grandad said:
I hear what you are saying but with thriving supporters clubs across the country, it will take something drastic for attendances to start dwindling.

Add to that, dare I say, a trophy and more and more will be attracted to City and the club are going to be doing their utmost to ensure that kids local to CoMS are given the chance to be able to afford to attend home games.

I do see the attendance rising significantly based on trophies etc but the boring footie is a counter point to that as well.

I was wondering what sort of numbers are out there now?

It's a reasonable question but one which fails to recognise that money is not the only issue for fans travelling in from afar.

the decades without success have taken their toll

my school was half and half blue/red back in the day

my lad is one of a small minority of Blues in the entire school which like many is full of plastic rags

the club needs to concentrate on retaining the base of fans and bringing back those that became disaffected and the rest will come with success and patience

(btw - diaspora!! is that a bluemoon first ;-)

II suspect Balti is right. We've probably lost a generation of support to that lot due to their success. Hopefully, a sustaind period of trophy winning for City will see more of the kids in City shirts again. Have any of you dads noticed a big lean towards the dark side in your kids school?
I haven't lived in Manchster for ten years but you could definitely see it back then amongst th young un's. Not so much over 25's though, I thought you'd find more City around South Manchester back then from my experience.

fbloke said:
Uwes Grandad said:

I do see the attendance rising significantly based on trophies etc but the boring footie is a counter point to that as well.

I was wondering what sort of numbers are out there now?

Those who might be attracted to the 'brand' would get 90mins of MCFC v Birmingham or Fulham and then say 'No thank, you'.

Don't over analyse it - just do your duty..
I'm now incredibly old and far from Failsworth but whenever I can, I take THREE grandchildren to City, home and away, usually a BRILLIANT day out.
Even in the dark years, you always got respect when talking with general-football folk "Yeah - I always liked City" they'd often say.
Hey, hey - we're back!
City, just keep doin what you're doin - best for a LONG time - simple as.

The thing is we filled the CoMS every week in 2003-2005. But loads of local fans, some who had been going every week for 40+ years, just had enough. Some hated the stadium, some felt the real City had disappeared, some hated the football, some hated the team and the manager...

What can the club do to re-attract these fans? Not just attract new fans!

I honestly think the way we can get back or retain our disgruntled fans in by getting something in the trophy cabinet, it will give this club a new lease of life, a shot in the arm. Yes champions league will mean we can attract big names ( which in turn will encourage kids to follow the only team in manchester! ) But it is our best chance for a while of putting a smile on our fans faces for the first time in 35 years( I should know I was born a month after our last trophy... Jinx I know)
A trophy this year is what us lifers deserve, as daft as that sounds. Let's get this one for us, and lets worry about the " new" fans another day

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.