The Mandela Effect

Surely this can't be true.
It would mean that if you didn't think about an event for 30 days, you would never be able to remember it ever again

Is it though? Is it not dependant on the memory? Can you remember what you had for tea 30 days ago? Where as a friend or a memory that was unique or unusual is remembered. It must surely be linked to the event?

If he'd not seen him for 20 years , how did he even know that he was his friend ? Useless of course they rang each other every 30 days for 20 years, just on the off-chance that they might meet again.
I think one or two are missing the point.

You dont automatically forget everything that happened over 30 days ago, it's just you're remembering your own memory of the event. Rather than the event itself. For example, if I never watched the 93:20 goal ever again, I'd still remember it in years to come, because I barely go a day without thinking about it, never mind 30. It's in my brain because I "remember" it on a regular basis. I couldnt tell you everything else I did on that day though in great detail, because I haven't bothered to remember it.

That's why two people years later can have different recollections of the same event. What happened happened, but you've remembered it completely differently.

@
As above, Blue Mist

As I said, SEVEN people rode on the Trumpton fire engine
1.Pugh
2.Pugh
3.Barney Magrew
4.Cuthbert
5.Dibble
6.Grubb

Captain Flack, anyone?
I make that 7
Oh dear, indeed

@lefty goldblatt I sincerely and most humbly do apologise. I have just ask Mr Google if Captain Flack ever rode on the engine. It found a YouTube vid where they did the roll call and indeed Capt. Flack then gets into the front passenger seat (as I suppose the boss always would) and all 7 go off to see about a dangerous chimney.

@

@lefty goldblatt I sincerely and most humbly do apologise. I have just ask Mr Google if Captain Flack ever rode on the engine. It found a YouTube vid where they did the roll call and indeed Capt. Flack then gets into the front passenger seat (as I suppose the boss always would) and all 7 go off to see about a dangerous chimney.

Graciously accepted.
I've just wiki'd the Trumpton fire crew. According to them, Barney Magrew DROVE the said engine with his eyes closed, and he was described as elderly
God help Chippy Minton and Miss Lovelace, if they were in the way

Graciously accepted.
I've just wiki'd the Trumpton fire crew. According to them, Barney Magrew DROVE the said engine with his eyes closed, and he was described as elderly
God help Chippy Minton and Miss Lovelace, if they were in the way

You must have found the same vid as me !! It doesn't explain why he had his eyes closed though. Apparently they never actually put out a fire as that was too hard to animate.

I went on a brain injury course last year and the guy running it said your brain can only hold on to memories for 30 days, if you remember something longer ago than that, you're simply remembering remembering the event rather than the event itself, if that makes sense. He said he had recently met up with an old friend he'd not seen for 20 years and they reminisced about old times but their recollections of the same thing were completely different and contradictory.

One of my favourite examples is when City fans slate David Brightwell for his dreadful showing against Kanchelskis in the 5-0 OT derby when in actual fact he never played in that game.

Another football one is that Newcastle were cruising to the title 12 points clear in 96 when Ferguson, being the psychological genius that he is, decided to wind Keegan up, got him rattled and United came storming back to win the title. That was simply not true. Newcastle were 2nd with only a few games to go when Keegan had his rant, it played no part in them losing the title.

It's weird because I was talking about that the other day. That Keegan "Luv it" rant is seen almost universally as being the turning point in the title race, when in actual fact he said it when they were second and had blown it long before then.

Another football one is that Ferguson really struggled in his early years at United and that Robins goal saved him.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.