The Mendy/Sané conundrum

Deepest Blue

Now that both are available for selection do we think that our management have given up on the idea of using them both as starters on the left side or is it a problem that is soluble with more practice?
This may not be an ideal time to experiment by using a formation that has given difficulties in the past but would Pep see it as a challenge to his coaching skills to get two players each of whom can be devastating on their day on the pitch at the same time rather than just give it up as a bad job?

We and they have done really well in the games they’ve played together.

No reason why they can't play together. Just before his latest injury Mendy played a couple of games behind Sterling where he rarely bombed on. Seemed a bit odd as obviously Sterling cut inside a lot but I'm sure he doesn't have to bomb on all the time when Sane is there anyway.

I’m not sure if the team really sees this as a problem but if we do I’d love to see Sane on the right with the option to cut inside and shoot

I do wonder if Mendy was the reason Pep bought Mahrez as he thinks they'll work together better?

The above isn't my personal thoughts, just trying to get into Peps mindset.

Many fans and pundits say that it doesn't work and a different formation is better eg. Sterling or Gabriel in an inside left position with Ben bombing on.

If it doesn't work just buy a left back who can defend well in the Summer. We've got the best young left winger in Europe who now works his arse off for the team too. Not worth sacrificing for an unproven (in England) left back.

When they've played together Mendy has played a similar role to Delph ie inverted fullback. For what it's worth.

I thought he struggled when he came inside, always looked uncomfortable and a moment away from losing the ball.

I thought he struggled when he came inside, always looked uncomfortable and a moment away from losing the ball.
I don't disagree, but I prefer to think of it as the start of a learning curve in an unfamiliar role. No reason why he can't adapt over time.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.