The Michael Oliver Penalty Thread

Why can't it be both? It was shit defending to let the attacker get in front of them but it wasn't the defenders actions that caused the attacker to go over, the attacking players made the decision themselves to go down which is cheating.
If the criteria now for giving a penalty is any kind of slight contact on an attacker who then decides to go over, if you combine that with the handball fiasco that will mean over 70% of goals scored this season will be penalties.
If this style of refereeing continues then the top three at the end of this season will be Liverpool, United and Leicester as they are the best at instigating contact with opposition players and throwing themselves to the ground. This bullshit fascination with 'there's contact so he's entitled to go over' is a joke, a player is never 'entitled' to go over, he either gets taken out by an opposition player or it's a dive.
For decades we laughed at European and South American teams play acting, cheating and diving all over the place but its now infected our game.

Of course you can blame the attackers and say it's cheating , but it's naive to blame them if our defenders are going to be fucking stupid .

And if our players got themselves in similar positions then we would give ourselves the chance of getting similar decisions.

The fact remains that we were piss poor throughout after a good start , and were outplayed tactically .

No use blaming the other team when you are fucking clueless. Injuries, covid etc has probably hampered us, but tactically we were poor , and weak.

But it’s the falling over at the slightest touch is what’s wrong with the game. All 3 pens , if the attacker stays on his feet he’s odds on to score.
we were awful tonight .
how was Delaps shirt ripped: did we get a free kick for that, I must have missed it.

Why can't it be both? It was shit defending to let the attacker get in front of them but it wasn't the defenders actions that caused the attacker to go over, the attacking players made the decision themselves to go down which is cheating.
If the criteria now for giving a penalty is any kind of slight contact on an attacker who then decides to go over, if you combine that with the handball fiasco that will mean over 70% of goals scored this season will be penalties.
If this style of refereeing continues then the top three at the end of this season will be Liverpool, United and Leicester as they are the best at instigating contact with opposition players and throwing themselves to the ground. This bullshit fascination with 'there's contact so he's entitled to go over' is a joke, a player is never 'entitled' to go over, he either gets taken out by an opposition player or it's a dive.
For decades we laughed at European and South American teams play acting, cheating and diving all over the place but its now infected our game.
On my stream the commentator said ‘Mendy can’t put his arms near the attacker’ blah blah but that **** fell as if he’d got his feet caught in barbed wire

All 3 were stonewall pens.
Can't disagree at all.......... HOWEVER, if that's Klanfield or the Swamp against us can you honestly see all three given?

I can just hear Peter Walton in the BT studio - 'Not enough in it for me; no penalty', 'Went down too easily', 'Should have been booked for diving', etc.

We ARE refereed differently to other teams.

Of course you can blame the attackers and say it's cheating , but it's naive to blame them if our defenders are going to be fucking stupid .

And if our players got themselves in similar positions then we would give ourselves the chance of getting similar decisions.

The fact remains that we were piss poor throughout after a good start , and were outplayed tactically .

No use blaming the other team when you are fucking clueless. Injuries, covid etc has probably hampered us, but tactically we were poor , and weak.
I don't disagree with you, we were very poor and the defenders were stupid (that's a discussion for a different thread though).
I also say the Leicester players cheated, if our players got themselves in similar positions and also went down at the slightest contact then they'd be cheating too. I don't want our players cheating to win games but that's what it's come to in the Premier League, the most important skill attacking players have now is the ability to instigate contact and then flop to the floor.
Contact doesn't always mean a penalty and if a player DECIDES to fall over rather then being forced over then they're a cheat.

On my stream the commentator said ‘Mendy can’t put his arms near the attacker’ blah blah but that **** fell as if he’d got his feet caught in barbed wire
Same on the stream I was watching, he basically said that as his arm touched him that means he can go down and it's a penalty. He said you can't physically touch an attacker as if they then drop to the floor it's a penalty, it made no sense at all.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.