The Miracle of Castel di Sangro

Me too.

I got A Brilliant Orange the other day as I thought it was a tactical masterclass on the origins of Total Football above and beyond Inverting the Pyramid. Turns out that it spent half the book saying that Amsterdam is pretty crowded, so Dutch people were genetically predisposed to finding space. He also wrote a lot about architecture and Dutch society. Interviews with the legends were pretty good though.

If anyone has Luca Vialli's Italian Job, I'd really like a swap.

Actually, anybody who is into their sports books should go out RIGHT NOW and buy Bobby Robson's autobiography. Just a stupendous insight into the mind of one of the world's greatest ever coaches, and a thoroughly decent man. Starts with his early life from a mining town, goes through his football career, his struggles as a low paid player, his eventual turn into coaching, success at Ipswich, the WC 1990, moving to PSV and coaching Romario/Ronaldo, moving to Portugal and introducing Mourinho into the game, coaching Barca, then returning home to his beloved Newcastle. It also includes a chapter or two on his cancer and how he overcame it time and time again.

It's quite simply the greatest sports book I've ever read (and I've read LOTS), and the ability to buy it off of Amazon for £0.01 means that there's no reason to not pick it up.

Damocles said:
Actually, anybody who is into their sports books should go out RIGHT NOW and buy Bobby Robson's autobiography. Just a stupendous insight into the mind of one of the world's greatest ever coaches, and a thoroughly decent man. Starts with his early life from a mining town, goes through his football career, his struggles as a low paid player, his eventual turn into coaching, success at Ipswich, the WC 1990, moving to PSV and coaching Romario/Ronaldo, moving to Portugal and introducing Mourinho into the game, coaching Barca, then returning home to his beloved Newcastle. It also includes a chapter or two on his cancer and how he overcame it time and time again.

It's quite simply the greatest sports book I've ever read (and I've read LOTS), and the ability to buy it off of Amazon for £0.01 means that there's no reason to not pick it up.

Thanks for the tip. I too have read many, many biogs but this one has somehow slipped the net.

Here's a tip from me: don't ever, ever, ever, ever make the mistake I made and pick up Peter Crouch's 'Walking Tall' (and before anyone says anything, I know I should have known better). The dullest football book ever. Makes Steve Claridge's latest look like a Booker prize winner, and that's saying something...

dannybcity said:
Has anybody read this book, it's fantastic!

Yep I read it a few years ago, a brillaint book all be it a bit demoralising towards the end.

Another very good read is 'Futebol: The Brazilian Way Of Life'. It's a look at how football permeates and in many ways dictates all aspects of Brazilian life.

ono said:
blue12 said:
Anybody any ideas on how we would do book exchange on here.
By post.Would be easy.We're all fairly familiar with each other on here now so there wouldn't be trust issues imo. Damo, what did you make of a Brilliant Orange?

Well, as I said earlier, I expected a technical football book but ABO is far broader than that. He tries to draw influences from Dutch culture and assign them to Dutch football, with varying degrees of success.

It was certainly an interesting book, and you won't learn an awful lot about Dutch football, but you might learn something about Dutch culture.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.