the miracle of march 7th 1981 to march 11th 1981

danebanksheik said:
I would think it was cash at Kippax and Platt Lane at that time so easy to manage the away fans and the greater number of our fans as well.

the game was a total sell out, so were people locked out

Was telling my daughter about the cup earlier, she's a similar age as I was in 81 only ten.

Remember going to the final, I've still got my centenery flag and its framed now as a great memory of that great day. Pity we drew, so close.

fathellensbellend said:
i seem to remember that whole cup run had momentum, even the early rounds had the best part of 40k.

cup finals seemed incredible in those days, 2 ends with 25000 full of flags and banners, some much colour, just an amazing occasion.

i think younger fans have been deprived of the magic of the fa cup, it really is a shadow of what it used to be, and that is reflected in the crowds not just at city but everywhere.

i know it is painful viewing, but watch the 81 replay, what an incredible match and event.

Money has improved the game in many ways, sadly you are right about the earlier rounds of the Cup. If we win on Sunday though I am confident real Cup fever will take hold, especially if the Rags stay in it as well.

Remember it well mate especially the Red Dipper semi away as I still have the scars from a few bricks and stones, don`t have the slashed coat from a Stanley Knife anymore though (and I remember paying on the gate for the 3-1 Everton match), great season that turned out to be even though we fell just short, especially unlucky away to Liverpool too.

I was at both games and can still see Paul Power jumping for joy in front of the blues when he got the late equaliser.

I was at school in Victoria Park, St Pius, and someone burned the gym and school hall down on the Sunday night. We got to school on the Monday only to be told to go home. Well all us blues went to Maine Road and got the tickets for the replay.

We never did find out which blue lit the fire at school!

Dirty Harry said:
Remember it well mate especially the Red Dipper semi away as I still have the scars from a few bricks and stones, don`t have the slashed coat from a Stanley Knife anymore though (and I remember paying on the gate for the 3-1 Everton match), great season that turned out to be even though we fell just short, especially unlucky away to Liverpool too.

Eh

joe mancini said:
Dirty Harry said:

Eh

? if you mean the red dipper semi I mean the league cup pal.

fathellensbellend said:
there must have been people here who know something about the miracle that happened between these dates, in a time before the internet, and mobile phones, you may be wondering what i am talking about, well on march the 7th 1981 city drew 2-2 at everton in the fa cup 1/4 and by the following wednesday city had shifted 52500 tickets for the 3-1 victory replay.

how the hell did the ticket office cope, was there cash turnstyles, were people locked out, i did read somewhere that city fans actually went to everton and purchased their seat tickets.

anyone who remembers this cup run of 1981 will know exactly what the fa cup used to mean and should mean now, until sadly money destroyed this famous competition.

my faded memories of that cup run as a 10 year old was watching the destruction of norwich on Motd and every goal seemed to be a screamer, the return of big mal, walking to wembley and hearing the singing from miles away, and always wanting one of those red and black chequered flags.

I was at the home game ...

Wasn't John Bond the manager by that point?

Bond took over in October 1980 :)

Bond just bought experience in every department and it literally turned the season around, odd thing was, I`d watched Gerry Gow, Tommy Hutch and Bobby Mac for years and was a bit disappointed but they all turned out to be cracking buys for us that season.

it was pay on the night, went with my dad, I would of been about 12, we went in that little section between the Main stand and the North stand, there was Everton everywhere, nearly all the seats in the lower sections of the North stand, they was in with us in that section and the big away section of the Kippax, I think 52000 at both games.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.