The Northern Lights

Barely visible in Kirkland, Washington this evening. Best photo I could take.

Attachments

• Aurora.jpg
    Aurora.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
It's funny seeing people rushing outside to take photos of the night sky because TV or Facebook friends mentioned it.

21st century cave dwellers. It's a wonder they're not all rushing out to stock up on toilet rolls.

I bet your one of those that woudn't go out to see something like halley's comet because its just "a smudge of light"

Interesting how these have so much red in them, the last few times were just green and blue

Depends how far into the atmosphere the particles make it. so I guess it depends just how fast the CME is travelling when it hits us.

• Green: Green is the most common colour seen from the ground and is produced when charged particles collide with oxygen molecules at altitudes of 100 to 300 km.
  • Pink and dark red: Occasionally, the lower edge of an aurora will have a pink or dark red fringe, which is produced by nitrogen molecules at altitudes of around 100 km.
  • Red: A bit higher in the atmosphere (at altitudes of 300 to 400 km), collisions with oxygen atoms produce red auroras.
  • Blue and purple: Finally, hydrogen and helium molecules can produce blue and purple auroras, but these colours tend to be difficult for our eyes to see against the night sky.

It's funny seeing people rushing outside to take photos of the night sky because TV or Facebook friends mentioned it.

21st century cave dwellers. It's a wonder they're not all rushing out to stock up on toilet rolls.
I wish I could rush outside!

From the pictures and video my missus took it was an absolutely beautiful show last night, which my three year-old son loved.

I don’t begrudge anyone taking a short break from the toil and stress of life to find a small bit of beauty and awe, however fleeting. And experiencing the wonder of a natural phenomenon at the same time as others in your community (local or more far-flung) can increase togetherness, at a time when division and conflict has become so entrenched.

All and all, I would say last night was one of the most positive “social media trends” in years.

quest-for-fire-caveman.gif

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.