The Official Wigan Athletic FC Thread

They struggled last year and were lucky to stay up, Martinez i genuinely believe is a decent manager but they have no money, they've sold N'Zogbia and judging on their only incoming being a free. Can't see them staying up tbh.

Their fans were piss poor too when we went last year, we took 5000, the attendance was 11,000.... Nearly more of us! Decent away day though..

Prestwich_Blue said:
Like the thread title. ;-)

Don't get me started on Wigan. Yes Martinez seems to be a decent-ish manager and a nice bloke. But how have they got from non-keague to Premiership? Through Dave Whelan's money that's how. The same bloke who has the nerve to criticise us regularly for spending money. The same bloke whose club haven't ever come close to taking a single point off his bum-chum Baconface and his beloved rags.

If he walked away, they'd go into liquidation whereas we should be close to self-sufficiency soon. They get around 10,000 home fans through the gate on a good day.

There are a number of clubs far more deserving of a Premiership place than them, including the 3 that came up this year.

Couldn't agree more with this. I like Martinez but the rest of the club can fuck off for me. Whelan is a horrible, racist man who thinks Baconface is a god. Their ground is new but utterly soulless, like the Reebok. There's never any noise, banter or atmosphere. Leeds, both Sheffield clubs, Forest and Palace to name a few are all great clubs that deserve a place in the PL above these lot. The only good thing about the club is it's close by, but fair play to those pubescant fans who came to city last year, they sung their heart out and made me laugh, as there was only about 6 of them.

Being a Salford RL fan as well, I can't stand the rugby club either. I've never met a Wigan RL fan who supports Wigan Athletic, they all support United or either of the dippers. Strange, strange place.

Salford City Blue said:
Prestwich_Blue said:
Like the thread title. ;-)

Don't get me started on Wigan. Yes Martinez seems to be a decent-ish manager and a nice bloke. But how have they got from non-keague to Premiership? Through Dave Whelan's money that's how. The same bloke who has the nerve to criticise us regularly for spending money. The same bloke whose club haven't ever come close to taking a single point off his bum-chum Baconface and his beloved rags.

If he walked away, they'd go into liquidation whereas we should be close to self-sufficiency soon. They get around 10,000 home fans through the gate on a good day.

There are a number of clubs far more deserving of a Premiership place than them, including the 3 that came up this year.

Couldn't agree more with this. I like Martinez but the rest of the club can fuck off for me. Whelan is a horrible, racist man who thinks Baconface is a god. Their ground is new but utterly soulless, like the Reebok. There's never any noise, banter or atmosphere. Leeds, both Sheffield clubs, Forest and Palace to name a few are all great clubs that deserve a place in the PL above these lot. The only good thing about the club is it's close by, but fair play to those pubescant fans who came to city last year, they sung their heart out and made me laugh, as there was only about 6 of them.

Being a Salford RL fan as well, I can't stand the rugby club either. I've never met a Wigan RL fan who supports Wigan Athletic, they all support United or either of the dippers. Strange, strange place.

Can't stand people who say that. One of the most overused and ignorant phrases in football. You get what you deserve in football based on how you do on the pitch and how sensible your boardroom is.

Leeds overspent. Forest appointed Platt. Sheffield Wednesday didn't purchase etc etc. Just because they've won stuff in the past doesn't make them deserving of a Premier League place. When we went down to Division 2, we deserved it due to a monumental number of cock ups and shit players. It's good to see smaller clubs make it in the Premier League. Who cares if their stadium is half full?

As much as everyone hates and laughs at Wigan as a club, you really do have to say fair play to them for getting this far. I'm from near the area and it's a hotbed for Rags, seriously. When you consider they only really started to gain momentum as a club not too long ago; to attract the amount of supporters they do isn't that bad.

Look at clubs around this area. Manchester United*, Manchester City, Liverpool*, Everton, Bolton, Blackburn, Preston, Burnley, Rochdale, Bury, Oldham etc. I put stars next to those two teams as their success in past decades have basically taken those sort of football fans we will attract in the future. (No real affiliation with a club, but successful therefore supported.) The other first 5 teams in that list are bigger than Wigan and will also take a proportion of supporters who would have otherwise supported Wigan. Bolton Wanderers have a large proportion of supporters from Wigan too. My bet is that a rise occurred in 2001 when they were promoted. I noticed it first hand as a schoolboy.

They're not a huge club, they've got a less than impressive average attendance, but they've done well and are continuing to do so to survive in the Premier League.

The Pink Panther said:
It's all about the mini league at the bottom of the Prem. Win that are you stay up and I think Wigan have enough to do that

I've a feeling Everton may well be the "surprise" team to be relegated this season

no chance everton will go down.

i hope wigan stay up too, good away day and not too far.

Can't stand people who say that. One of the most overused and ignorant phrases in football. You get what you deserve in football based on how you do on the pitch and how sensible your boardroom is.

Leeds overspent. Forest appointed Platt. Sheffield Wednesday didn't purchase etc etc. Just because they've won stuff in the past doesn't make them deserving of a Premier League place. When we went down to Division 2, we deserved it due to a monumental number of cock ups and shit players. It's good to see smaller clubs make it in the Premier League. Who cares if their stadium is half full?

As much as everyone hates and laughs at Wigan as a club, you really do have to say fair play to them for getting this far. I'm from near the area and it's a hotbed for Rags, seriously. When you consider they only really started to gain momentum as a club not too long ago; to attract the amount of supporters they do isn't that bad.

Look at clubs around this area. Manchester United*, Manchester City, Liverpool*, Everton, Bolton, Blackburn, Preston, Burnley, Rochdale, Bury, Oldham etc. I put stars next to those two teams as their success in past decades have basically taken those sort of football fans we will attract in the future. (No real affiliation with a club, but successful therefore supported.) The other first 5 teams in that list are bigger than Wigan and will also take a proportion of supporters who would have otherwise supported Wigan. Bolton Wanderers have a large proportion of supporters from Wigan too. My bet is that a rise occurred in 2001 when they were promoted. I noticed it first hand as a schoolboy.

They're not a huge club, they've got a less than impressive average attendance, but they've done well and are continuing to do so to survive in the Premier League.[/quote]

Don't get me wrong, I salute how well they've done on Whelan's millions, and I agree how these clubs that I mentioned have fucked up monumentally. The point I was trying to make is that they are big clubs, unlike Wigan. I don't think they DESERVE to be in the PL above clubs like Wigan, just that I'd be more excited if they did. It's a personal opinion. I loved going to Leeds (not in the 70's I may add, some of those stories on here have sounded very interesting!) but going to both Sheffield clubs and Forest all excite me more than going to Wigan. I do take your point about all the NW clubs stealing fans from Wigan, but it's sad that more people support the rugby league club than the football club.

I'd take Wigan away over Bolton away anyday. At least Wigan has a couple of pubs near by. Plus they've got a preacher outside the away end which is always a positive, this line being my particular favourite; "I've followed the blues, I've followed the reds but they taught me nothing, so I started following Jesus".

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.