The perception of our players abroad?

Nascent Blues

I've been pondering something lately, and after perusing the John Stones thread in the Player Performance Forum, it's become an itch that needs scratching.

My question is: how are our players viewed by the fans of teams in other countries?

I think that Stones maybe the best centre half in world football, but when I've broached this with fans of other English football teams, it feels like tribalism prevents them from acknowledging how good he is. Are fans of foreign teams, because domestic tribalism is negated, able to truly appreciate players like Walker, Silva, Stones et al. (not just the obvious world class De Bruyne and Haaland) and see them as truly elite players, like pretty much all fans of clubs in our country viewed such foreign players as Busquets, Lahm, Pirlo etc.?

Week before last I was speaking to a bloke working in a cafe in Spain. He’s a Barca fan but he knew all about our team. Obviously mentioned Haaland and KDB first but also Jack, Bernardo, Dias, Alvarez, Mahrez and he also mentioned Stones and rapido, rapido Walker. It was noticeable how many City shirts were knocking about too, on the streets, in the shopping centres and on the beach we go to, which is frequented by mainly Spanish families whom are staying at their holiday homes. Whilst the recent World Cup will be a factor, player profile and now our Club profile mean we are known the world over. Haaland takes us to another level too.

From the algerian lookey lookey man to half the Spanish in the bars we are definitely known.

The pancake man in Lanzarote certainly know our players and is very complementary - loves Silva (knows family) but hates Pep with a passion.

I find it amazing in how big City have become.All these shops that sell a token gesture of football stuff alway have something City now.
I was in an tourist shop in London last week,you know the shop that sells plates,bottle openers and the like.A wee spot in the corner selling Football sign posts.
Arsenal,rags,Chelsea,Juventus and little old City the only 5 teams on show.How times have changed.

I find it amazing in how big City have become.All these shops that sell a token gesture of football stuff alway have something City now.
I was in an tourist shop in London last week,you know the shop that sells plates,bottle openers and the like.A wee spot in the corner selling Football sign posts.
Arsenal,rags,Chelsea,Juventus and little old City the only 5 teams on show.How times have changed.
No Leeds?

My nephew was born and raised in Spain. He's 16 now. Barcelona fan. Hes in the Atletico Madrid Academy too and loves Phil Foden, always raves about him.

As a resident in France I can tell you that the City players are greatly admired, as is the club, and the way it's run. But coming back from the match, something stopped me in my tracks. Went into the newsagent's at Lille station, and went to get a look at l'Equipe.
There we were, covering the whole of the front page. I think it was Stones and something else grinning hugely at the final whistle. Now I always try to get a look at l'Equipe, if I can, and I certainly don't remember ever seeing City on the front cover for a mere league game (which is a purely domestic affair, don't forget), and actually I can't remember it for any other English team. Had it been a European game it would have been less surprising.
There is, of course, a total fascination with the Viking. It's world wide. I can't remember City ever having a player like this.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.