The Post General Election Thread

Ducado

Team supported
City
Seen as the other thread seems to have got bogged down in all kinds of stuff not relevant to the subject, plus it's over 733 pages long now making it a bit unwieldy

There are lots of things to talk about, including

The State of the Union

Will the Tories deliver on their pre election pledges for things like English votes for English matters?

Devolution for English regions

The future of the welfare state and civic society in general

Can the Lib Dems recover

And I am sure there are other issues debate away

SWP's back said:
I miss the daily polls. :-(

Well the Scott's have an election next year and then there is the small matter of the referendum, which I think Dave will want to win an in vote and resign if the country says they want out

Bluemanc100 said:
Ducado said:
SWP's back said:
I miss the daily polls. :-(

Well the Scott's have an election next year and then there is the small matter of the referendum, which I think Dave will want to win an in vote and resign if the country says they want out

Not a chance we'll vote to leave
Yep. Apart from UKIP, the whole political establishment will be on the side of staying in. The media will be the same way. That said, I also agree that we should stay in.

Ducado said:
Can the Lib Dems recover

Yes they can recover, but no I don't think they will.

The problem with the Lib Dems is that they don't fit into any major group in British society. They aren't the voice of the working classes, nor the voice of the right nor the voice of the left nor the compromise in the centre. If you look at the Political Compass you'll see that they fitter around it attempting to find the best positions to take in this election - they are the standard bearers for not actually having values but instead having desires.

uk2010.png

uk2015.png

That's a pretty insane movement in one election - I keep thinking that they were trying to respond to the move to the right that the country has taken in the last few years but the common sense makes me think "who is their core support in the new position?" and I can't think of anybody. Protesters will vote UKIP, liberals will vote SNP in Scotland and Labour in England, right wingers will vote Tory and centrists will vote based on the economy or NHS which means one of the big two. Who was their base?

The thing that they should do now is move themselves back towards the left of centre position that was their bread and butter for 30 years of building and start again. You'd think that Labour are going to go more "working class" in the next cycle, especially if Andy Burnham is elected as leader who is an out and out old school Northern unionist to grab some of that UKIP share back.

The Lib Dems are essentially a party looking for an audience than an audience looking for a party. They don't actually need to exist in the current political climate.

Damocles said:
Ducado said:
Can the Lib Dems recover

Yes they can recover, but no I don't think they will.

The problem with the Lib Dems is that they don't fit into any major group in British society. They aren't the voice of the working classes, nor the voice of the right nor the voice of the left nor the compromise in the centre. If you look at the Political Compass you'll see that they fitter around it attempting to find the best positions to take in this election - they are the standard bearers for not actually having values but instead having desires.

uk2010.png

uk2015.png

That's a pretty insane movement in one election - I keep thinking that they were trying to respond to the move to the right that the country has taken in the last few years but the common sense makes me think "who is their core support in the new position?" and I can't think of anybody. Protesters will vote UKIP, liberals will vote SNP in Scotland and Labour in England, right wingers will vote Tory and centrists will vote based on the economy or NHS which means one of the big two. Who was their base?

The thing that they should do now is move themselves back towards the left of centre position that was their bread and butter for 30 years of building and start again. You'd think that Labour are going to go more "working class" in the next cycle, especially if Andy Burnham is elected as leader who is an out and out old school Northern unionist to grab some of that UKIP share back.

The Lib Dems are essentially a party looking for an audience than an audience looking for a party. They don't actually need to exist in the current political climate.

Ideally there should be at least one minor party that isn't on the left. But since coaltion government has been killed of for a generation, it probably doesnt matter too much

The Lib Dems are back to their position in the 80's a lot of hard work has been ruined

Labour will recover, they were never going to unseat an incumbent government in it's first term whoever was leading them, all governments get stale eventually and are booted out by the electorate but it takes a couple of tries

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.