The price of football and falling attendances

law74

Having been out at work with a match going liverpool fan this morning I seen an article in this mornings Mirror about the price of football, and though I would show some form of the differences in watching football in England and in Germany.
A couple of months ago I booked flights to Dusseldorf for the Dortmund game, £75 return, then got the ticket for the game £27 which includes the train from Dusseldorf to Dortmund and the tube to the ground.
Last week I booked the flights for the Rags game, £80 return (flying into Manchester and home from Speke), match ticket £53, train from airport to City centre about £6, bus to the ground £2.00 (approx), after the game bus back into town £2.00 (I think it is a bit cheaper but not much), then terravision coach back to Liverpool Airport £8.00.
Dortmund away total cost £102
Rags game total cost £151

Now I know many on here will say that as I chose to live away from Manchester I have no right to complain, and it is my choice, but apart from the price of the flights, similar costs will be incurred by many fans from the greater Manchester areas. and people wonder why we have difficulty selling out every game and why the atmosphere is getting worse?

The problem is attendances are much higher than during the 'good old days' when it was £2/3 to get in the Kippax. Therefore slight deviations in attendances by a couple of thousand, here and there, will not encourage clubs to drop ticket pricing. Atmosphere wise the demographics of many of the supporters has changed considerably along with the fact many people are sprinkled round the ground rather than able to book tickets with friends etc or like-minded individuals. People are naturally more reserved when sat around starngers rather than amongst a group of their own mates.

The atmosphere is "worse" because the kinds of fans that make the noise are no longer able to afford tickets.

im going down in a few mins from ashton

me n lad season cards = £32

216 day rider for me = £3.9

pre match cans ( aldi ) = £4.5

food + prog = £8

pub after = only maybe 4pints = £14

kebab going home n chips £5

£70 odd quid

im on £7.6 per hour,its a fucking big amount of my weekly take home pay,cant continue ,but no doubt i will

cmon city

Crowds are at record highs. Visiting fans are going down

There were times in the 80s and 90s when you could sit on the Kippax terrace and watch the game and there'd be no atmosphere at all

Millwallawayveteran1988 said:
alky313 said:
The atmosphere is "worse" because the kinds of fans that make the noise are no longer able to afford tickets.

There is definately something in this.

yep .i'll be sat in a sea of indifferent or **** care less so called blues again in 3 hours time,the familly stand,thought 218 was bad for passion but up there its a joke,really dont understand why 80% of them bother

sing u miserable bastards !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We have sold out near enough every game for the last 2/3 seasons.

Our average attendence is 46/47 depending on how many away fans turn up.

Go back over our history and there wont be many higher average attendances than what we have now.

That being said away games are ridiculous. West brom cost over a £100 for me, for the ticket, train and a few beers.

Stoke was nearly as much. The sooner they re-introduce standing and drop the prices the better.

blue44 said:
Millwallawayveteran1988 said:
alky313 said:

There is definately something in this.

yep .i'll be sat in a sea of indifferent or **** care less so called blues again in 3 hours time,the familly stand,thought 218 was bad for passion but up there its a joke,really dont understand why 80% of them bother

sing u miserable bastards !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Remember the Platt Lane at Maine Rd, or the Main Stand? They never sung.

North Stand at the Etihad does on the odd occasion, and I've seen the Poznan go right round this ground

ban-mcfc said:
We have sold out near enough every game for the last 2/3 seasons.

Our average attendence is 46/47 depending on how many away fans turn up.

Go back over our history and there wont be many higher average attendances than what we have now.

That being said away games are ridiculous. West brom cost over a £100 for me, for the ticket, train and a few beers.

Stoke was nearly as much. The sooner they re-introduce standing and drop the prices the better.

Thats the point crowds are at there highest, ticket prices are excessive. Why would the stadium be changed to accomodate safe standing and lose the £40 seat money. Hence there is no desire by the clubs to introduce this. If crowds collapse there maybe interest from clubs chairmen. But currently there is little desire for this.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.