The Rags and UEFA's FFPR

fbloke

There has been plenty of talk over the last few days about CIty's finances and the upcoming limitations of the FFPR.

I think we can all accept that City will get through OK as the owner and board at City are the best in the business (and of course the wealthiest).

But I was wondering exactly how United would get along.

For the purposes of FFPR we ignore the debt of course and only consider the interest payments they have to make.

As I understand things the debts are increasing and as such the interest burden is getting larger, therefore it is only going to get worse for the cash that it sucks out of the club :-(

Last year they made a loss prior to the sale of Ronaldo, but an OK profit once that was added in.

However they have also just taken 50% of their new main sponsorship deal (AON) as an upfront payment which means there will be less coming in for the remaining years of the contract.

Revenues are sliding and the stadium in Trafford is no longer a sell-out each match.

Corporate revenues are according to one person I know about 15% down on the year before.

Now that we are into the run-in period for FFPR it seems United are looking at losses in each of the 3 financial periods before a decision will be made on United's european licence.

Of course as long as the owners of the business can show they have a sustainable business model all will be OK for them.

And then there is the opportunity for an owner to inject cash in a cash/equity swap to cover losses.

In short United fans are probably thinking the massive turnover they have will keep them in the hunt until another owner pops along and clears the debt.

But in reality there really is a clock ticking louder by the day as for every game they dont sell every ticket, sell a shirt to a japanese tourist, or not flog the full compliment of pies (mmmmm pies) then they are falling further behind the break even point.

Shame that really isnt it?

for me, they will start making losses, and it won't be crippling, but enough to create a bit of difficulty. I think with them looking at 2017(i think) on their debt, they could be in for a rougher 10 years than people are letting on. With them having to repay it it could be interesting. However I have a feeling that this FFP thing is set up so they can get taken over and investment and come back to being top dog again, because of what they are set up as now.

However, if trophies don't come, if Rooney(their only marketable asset) goes, then the foreign fans will switch, if we take advantage, then it could be too late by the time they got taken over. We're not looking at Liverpool style for another decade at the earliest in my opinion, but the opportunity is there to inflict it.

fbloke said:
There has been plenty of talk over the last few days about CIty's finances and the upcoming limitations of the FFPR.

I think we can all accept that City will get through OK as the owner and board at City are the best in the business (and of course the wealthiest).

But I was wondering exactly how United would get along.

For the purposes of FFPR we ignore the debt of course and only consider the interest payments they have to make.

As I understand things the debts are increasing and as such the interest burden is getting larger, therefore it is only going to get worse for the cash that it sucks out of the club :-(

Last year they made a loss prior to the sale of Ronaldo, but an OK profit once that was added in.

However they have also just taken 50% of their new main sponsorship deal (AON) as an upfront payment which means there will be less coming in for the remaining years of the contract.

Revenues are sliding and the stadium in Trafford is no longer a sell-out each match.

Corporate revenues are according to one person I know about 15% down on the year before.

Now that we are into the run-in period for FFPR it seems United are looking at losses in each of the 3 financial periods before a decision will be made on United's european licence.

Of course as long as the owners of the business can show they have a sustainable business model all will be OK for them.

And then there is the opportunity for an owner to inject cash in a cash/equity swap to cover losses.

In short United fans are probably thinking the massive turnover they have will keep them in the hunt until another owner pops along and clears the debt.

But in reality there really is a clock ticking louder by the day as for every game they dont sell every ticket, sell a shirt to a japanese tourist, or not flog the full compliment of pies (mmmmm pies) then they are falling further behind the break even point.

Shame that really isnt it?

Under the FFP rules, what is the point of an investor pumping millions into a club anymore?

Why should anyone, billionaire or trillionaire, buy any club when they can't, under these new rules, pump millions into the club?

I don't know how enforceable these new rules are, and under EU rules they are probably not enforceable, as UEFA have had their hands spanked by the EU on more than a few occasions, but if I was an investor, under these new rules, I don't think I'd be that interested in a European football club, and maybe I'd be looking elsewhere, like South America.

There is no point in an investor buying a club for millions of pounds, and then being unable to do anything to improve the quality of the squad.

We got through the net, and we are now up there with the 'big boys', hopefully. The power brokers of European football didn't like it, which is fine, but does it help a club like Liverpool?

Is the failure of Liverpool finding new owners more to do with the new fair play rules kicking in than anything else?

It's a serious question.

Why would a moneyman buy the club for millions, then watch a team of average players stagnate and do nothing, knowing that financially, you could do nothing as the owner to improve things?

I think UEFA have opened a huge can of worms up with these new rules, and who knows where it is going to end?

I've been saying this for a while. United will almost certainly post a loss in the 30-40m range. As the interest rolls up on the total capital each year, it's only going to get worse.

Project said:
I've been saying this for a while. United will almost certainly post a loss in the 30-40m range. As the interest rolls up on the total capital each year, it's only going to get worse.

Stop it now lads..i really should'nt be laughing at this early hour on a sunday.. :)

Bwa............

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.