The Reckoning

What struck me was the similarities to parts of Savile’s character and Alan Partridge. Wonder if anyone will ever ask Coogan if part of the Partridge caricature was based on Savile.
Probably just based on socially awkward, narcissistic sociopaths in general.
Wasnt partridge bullied at school ?(needless to say he had the last laugh. Sorry not making light, was just a partridgism)
Savile had a very weird relationship with his mum, bullied even.

Probably just based on socially awkward, narcissistic sociopaths in general.
Wasnt partridge bullied at school ?(needless to say he had the last laugh. Sorry not making light, was just a partridgism)
Savile had a very weird relationship with his mum, bullied even.
Yeah, there’s elements of Norman Bates about him for sure.

My comparison was probably part fuelled, at least, by his voice, but there are the awkward, sociopathic aspects of Partridge with a kind of arrogance that he was the best too.

It just crossed my mind as I watched it last night.

I‘m sure Coogan would say there are elements of Richard Madeley awkwardness in there too.

What struck me was the similarities to parts of Savile’s character and Alan Partridge. Wonder if anyone will ever ask Coogan if part of the Partridge caricature was based on Savile.
I agree it's an inevitable question and one that the Guardian's TV critic addressed briefly in her review.

Coogan was born to play creeps. Coogan has a calculating coldness he can easily push towards horror. From Paul Calf to Alan Partridge to the recent Chivalry, creepy is his greatest strength. (Partridge is the rare non-sexual creep, but only because his insecurities run too deep to allow him to be a proper predator.

I agree it's an inevitable question and one that the Guardian's TV critic addressed briefly in her review.

Coogan was born to play creeps. Coogan has a calculating coldness he can easily push towards horror. From Paul Calf to Alan Partridge to the recent Chivalry, creepy is his greatest strength. (Partridge is the rare non-sexual creep, but only because his insecurities run too deep to allow him to be a proper predator.
Thanks for that. Probably sums up what I was trying to say far better than I could.

I can understand to an extent, I couldn’t get through the drama about the two kids that died in the Warrington bombing and Little Boy Blue was a tough watch.
Yeah, some can be too close to the bone for some. This first episode has made quite a few of the social media “How dare the BBC show this, it’s disgusting“ users change their minds.

It’s not an easy watch, but it’s dignified the victims well so far, I thought.

The Reckoning is a brilliant but harrowing account of a monster and what he did. Like Hitchcock it leaves your to imagine what happened to the victims. As well as Coogan does in his acting and impersonating Saville its difficult to get past the fact that it's Steve Coogan. He almost nails it. It's horrific but compelling. One was enough to process last night but we were almost tempted to watch more.

The Reckoning is a brilliant but harrowing account of a monster and what he did. Like Hitchcock it leaves your to imagine what happened to the victims. As well as Coogan does in his acting and impersonating Saville its difficult to get past the fact that it's Steve Coogan. He almost nails it. It's horrific but compelling. One was enough to process last night but we were almost tempted to watch more.
It’s on again tonight.

He turned up at the hospital outside Leeds where my mum was working a night shift as a nurse. He got on the intercom and started going "You've got to let me in. It's Jimmy". My mum told him where to go in no uncertain terms and called the local Police sargent who was one of our family friends.
Apparently he did this sort of thing all the time, and was well known for it, but as others have said, the hierarchy within the Police protected him for whatever reason.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.