The Rohingya People

There's a pretty reliable pattern to how a lot of these abuses start.

Blame individuals within a community for real or accused injustices (Uighur/Rohingya crimes/terrorism, Jewish burning of Reichstag etc) then wage war against the entire community.

That shouldn't stop people from asking legitimate questions about the extent to which certain negative behaviours are more prominent within certain communities but you always have to be mindful of history and ensure that there are safeguards in place so as not to legitimise pogroms and similar abuses.

There's a pretty reliable pattern to how a lot of these abuses start.

Blame individuals within a community for real or accused injustices (Uighur/Rohingya crimes/terrorism, Jewish burning of Reichstag etc) then wage war against the entire community.

That shouldn't stop people from asking legitimate questions about the extent to which certain negative behaviours are more prominent within certain communities but you always have to be mindful of history and ensure that there are safeguards in place so as not to legitimise pogroms and similar abuses.

This conflict has been going on supposedly for a 100 years with atrocities committed by both sides in that time, it looks like it ramped up to a new level when the Muslim minority tried to get Pakistan to annex part of Burma and failed. Complicating matters further the Rohingya were promised land by the allies for fighting against the Japanese and the Buddhists who supported the Japanese and that land never materialised.
The Burmese have overstepped the mark on the face of it, and you quite rightly posit that safeguards should be in place so that propaganda that is false shouldn't be able to alienate people in a country where another majority rule. One caveat to this is the lack in most cases of reporting by certain media that it isn't just Buddhists committing war crimes the Muslims are too.

I am struggling with the words I want to post, like many I have heard about the Rohingya people who have been forced to flee Burma to avoid rape, torture and death. The other day I saw a book,
First They Erased Our Name, it is written by a Rohingya who had fled before the current violence, it is so upsetting that I had to put it down and post this.
How man can treat fellow man as they do because of the colour of their skin, their religion or the simple desire for power is beyond me. The fact that the western world or for that matter any country can allow this disgraceful situation is beyond me.
The fact that Aung San Suu Kyi the Burmese leader can defend what they are doing and still not be stripped of her Nobel peace prize is a disgrace.

Normally, for me, Off Top is about daft, funny, piss taking posts/threads, this one isn't. Mods please don't move this to the politics thread where it will be lost, I am not even sure what good posting it will do but I just feel better for highlighting it in a little way.

Is it OK to hate reds ? :)

I think the book I am reading has opened my eyes, I believed the problem had only started a couple of years ago, I now find it has been going on since 1947. I was not aware, Mexico1970 thanks for the explanation, that yet again it seems another British/American promise being broken has started or worsened the problem. He'll we have a lot to answer for.

Part of the reason the Rohingya suffering continues is that many influential people in the powerful nations promoted Aung San Suu Kyi as some modern day saint while she was under house arrest. Now she's out she seems not to give a shit about the Rohingya but receives little criticism.

Part of the reason the Rohingya suffering continues is that many influential people in the powerful nations promoted Aung San Suu Kyi as some modern day saint while she was under house arrest. Now she's out she seems not to give a shit about the Rohingya but receives little criticism.

Totally agree, apparently she is nothing like the Saint the west made her out to be and is very unpopular. Her claim to fame is that her dad was the first general to run Burma after the British left, he was murdered and she fled to England. On her return she was arrested but she has no intention of seeking a peaceful solution to the ethnic cleansing. Yet another Nobel prize winner that in reality was a media charade.

Today Aung San Suu Kyi is appearing at The International Criminal court in the Hague. She is defending her country, Myanmar from charges of Ethnic Cleansing, murder, rape etc. The fact that it took a small African country, Gambia to bring the proceedings is an international disgrace, the fact that Suu Kyi still holds the Nobel peace prize is abhorrent and even worse.

Whilst you are reading this the Burmese military and the police will still be killing, raping and stealing from innocent members of the human race.

Today Aung San Suu Kyi is appearing at The International Criminal court in the Hague. She is defending her country, Myanmar from charges of Ethnic Cleansing, murder, rape etc. The fact that it took a small African country, Gambia to bring the proceedings is an international disgrace, the fact that Suu Kyi still holds the Nobel peace prize is abhorrent and even worse.

Whilst you are reading this the Burmese military and the police will still be killing, raping and stealing from innocent members of the human race.
The rules of the nobel peace prize do not allow the award to be rescinded.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.