The SATS con and our education system

What schools have 40+?

Thought the max. was 30?
I was once a volunteer in Tanzania and taught classes in a teacher training college of 50. It is not the number but the dedication of the students to learn that is important. Every single one of them had had it drilled into them how important an education was and every one of them did their best to learn.

100% spot on
@jimharri will tell me off for shouting though. But I think some of the joy has been taken out of teaching.
A child in my class struggled with reading and maths but boy was he green-fingered. He grew a spider plant for me that was magnificent and he worked with horses eventually. (Grew a lot more things but I had the spider plant and it descendants for years.)
The light that came on in a little girl's eyes when she suddenly got how to do division and percentages and the relationships in numbers.
The little one who struggled with balance but was wonderful at rounders.
All these are milestones in a child's life that I was privileged to witness.
I loved being a teacher (even with the stare!! ;-) ) and I know that I would be a rebel today because I would not follow the rigid lines they have and paperwork... ohhhh.

:-)

What schools have 40+?

Thought the max. was 30?
That's what they hope for but sometimes you have to go over that number. Although I've not heard of any 40+ recently.
I've heard of teachers being coerced into taking extra pupils by saying for example that there are two sets of twins and the parents want them to be in the same class. A class of 30 then becomes 32 and there are other ways they persuade teachers. :-)

EVERY CHILD IS GIFTED. THEY JUST UNWRAP THEIR PACKAGES AT DIFFERENT TIMES AND PACE.
100% spot on
@jimharri will tell me off for shouting though. But I think some of the joy has been taken out of teaching.
A child in my class struggled with reading and maths but boy was he green-fingered. He grew a spider plant for me that was magnificent and he worked with horses eventually. (Grew a lot more things but I had the spider plant and it descendants for years.)
The light that came on in a little girl's eyes when she suddenly got how to do division and percentages and the relationships in numbers.
I loved being a teacher (even with the stare!! ;-) ) and I know that I would be a rebel today because I would not follow the rigid lines they have and paperwork... ohhhh.

Completely agree but sadly and mostly to the cost of the country, if your not wearing a suit, walking into an office and earning 50k a year your a loser.

I have total respect of anyone that does manual work, engineering, mechanics, nurses,delivery drivers, careers etc but incredibly there seems to be a narrative against those people and there wages are simply too low for what they do.

One thing the covid situation showed for me is who are the important people are in the real world.

Without doctors, nurses, delivery drives, shopkeeper/shop workers, food producers the country would have ground to a halt.

Most offices were closed for a long time, everything seem to carry on fairly well even so.

That's what they hope for but sometimes you have to go over that number. Although I've not heard of any 40+ recently.
I've heard of teachers being coerced into taking extra pupils by saying for example that there are two sets of twins and the parents want them to be in the same class. A class of 30 then becomes 32 and there are other ways they persuade teachers. :-)

Well one or two over in exceptional circumstances is one thing. But the guy seemed to be suggesting that 40+ is the norm now.

John Otway
A413 Revisited
Verse 2 sums it up for me.

“There's a reunion at the Grange County Secondary School
Where there's a bunch of us
Thrown together at a formative age
We couldn't pass our 11+
Strange lesson at the age of eleven
To find that life ain't chance
And if at first you don't succeed
You’ve already been a failure once…”

The great, late educationist Sir Ken Robinson was once tasked by govt to write a white paper on tackling the fundamental issues facing the education system.
He duly presented it.
It was never published and binned.

A great shame because he was one of the most enlightened thinkers about education and an inspiring talker.

There are several Ted talks where he gives his views on several areas of education.

This is a taster, where he discusses creativity.

I knew it......

1000014461.jpg

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.