The signing that turns us from pretenders into contenders

Bluemoon115

So, Adebayor has signed, which brings a swift end to another transfer saga. But this one is different, because it changes everything.

Firstly, it allows the club to shake off the begging, pleading, pissing around tag that we have been stuck with since the Ronaldinho saga, which ultimatly lead to him choosing Milan over Manchester. Then came the Kaka fiasco, in which club reps went out to Milan to reach an agreement, only for Milan to, as Garry Cook so eloquently put it, "bottled it".

The next failed saga however, would be different. Manchester City made an offer for Samuel Eto'o, am offer which was reluctantly accepted. What followed was a game of chicken between Eto'o and Barcelona over a £10 million loyalty bonus. Eto'o knew Barca wanted to salvage some money from him leaving, and Barca knew that Eto'o was desperate for the huge salary increase. It didn't matter if City were left waiting. They would wait forever for an answer, surely they were desperate for such a player? This game of chicken went on for days (or weeks) until it was won, by the blues. City pulled out of the deal.

The next day negotiations began with Arsenal, and less than 8 days after "failing" with their Eto'o bid, it was handshakes all around as the City management had signed the Togonese international from a Premier League rival, for a similar price that Eto'o would have cost. Having stalled ont he payment, Barca have now been forced to put Eto'o into a deal for the striker they wanted to land, while the striker himself is nothing more than a pawn in the the deal between his club and Inter.

The laughing has stopped, and realisation has kicked in. City are not there to be messed about anymore. We're not the jokers anymore, were the Aces, and soon to be Kings, and any club thinking they can beat us with a bluff, will end up empty handed. No exceptions.

*Sorry for the long post/article type thing, but I was bored*

Bluemoon115 said:
So, Adebayor has signed, which brings a swift end to another transfer saga. But this one is different, because it changes everything.

Firstly, it allows the club to shake off the begging, pleading, pissing around tag that we have been stuck with since the Ronaldinho saga, which ultimatly lead to him choosing Milan over Manchester. Then came the Kaka fiasco, in which club reps went out to Milan to reach an agreement, only for Milan to, as Garry Cook so eloquently put it, "bottled it".

The next failed saga however, would be different. Manchester City made an offer for Samuel Eto'o, am offer which was reluctantly accepted. What followed was a game of chicken between Eto'o and Barcelona over a £10 million loyalty bonus. Eto'o knew Barca wanted to salvage some money from him leaving, and Barca knew that Eto'o was desperate for the huge salary increase. It didn't matter if City were left waiting. They would wait forever for an answer, surely they were desperate for such a player? This game of chicken went on for days (or weeks) until it was won, by the blues. City pulled out of the deal.

The next day negotiations began with Arsenal, and less than 8 days after "failing" with their Eto'o bid, it was handshakes all around as the City management had signed the Togonese international from a Premier League rival, for a similar price that Eto'o would have cost. Having stalled ont he payment, Barca have now been forced to put Eto'o into a deal for the striker they wanted to land, while the striker himself is nothing more than a pawn in the the deal between his club and Inter.

The laughing has stopped, and realisation has kicked in. City are not there to be messed about anymore. We're not the jokers anymore, were the Aces, and soon to be Kings, and any club thinking they can beat us with a bluff, will end up empty handed. No exceptions.

*Sorry for the long post/article type thing, but I was bored*

Don't apologise. Good post.

Every one of these signings improves our image and stature.

Noone's laughing now...

brilliant post m8,how mental is it that we as a major force now and yes i truly believe that we are a major force or very shortly will be that we do not take the shit some of these so called world class football clubs have tried to give us.

to be truefull i still cant get my head around how much further we have progressed since the owners have taken over and how fast we have got some of these world class players but the test is the season coming up and lets see how we fair and how are new players can help with the progress.

leewill31 said:
brilliant post m8,how mental is it that we as a major force now and yes i truly believe that we are a major force or very shortly will be that we do not take the shit some of these so called world class football clubs have tried to give us.

to be truefull i still cant get my head around how much further we have progressed since the owners have taken over and how fast we have got some of these world class players but the test is the season coming up and lets see how we fair and how are new players can help with the progress.
Cheers.

I was gonna write about how our other signings have each changed our image, but thats a different story, maybe another time (possibly for after the window when we have everyone).

I was thinking much the same thing on the way back from the ground tonight, the last 3 days has changed everything. I would question the interest that Chelsea had in both players, but its true that they had at least some, Real Madrid and the rags in Tavez and Adebayor from Milan, yet tonight they are City players. In my view not since Trevor Francis, have we been at this level, in terms of regard in the market, but perhaps most importantly we have the ability to go back into the market(something after signing Francis we didn't have). We are close to having a top 4 side(and in turn a top 10 team in Europe), how close? 2 defenders and we will be well stacked(with one a LB).

DontLookBackInAnger said:
I was thinking much the same thing on the way back from the ground tonight, the last 3 days has changed everything. I would question the interest that Chelsea had in both players, but its true that they had at least some, Real Madrid and the rags in Tavez and Adebayor from Milan, yet tonight they are City players. In my view not since Trevor Francis, have we been at this level, in terms of regard in the market, but perhaps most importantly we have the ability to go back into the market(something after signing Francis we didn't have). We are close to having a top 4 side(and in turn a top 10 team in Europe), how close? 2 defenders and we will be well stacked(with one a LB).

We are two centre halfs away from being serious contenders... Here's hoping Hughes can deliver them for us all...

Pistol1981 said:
DontLookBackInAnger said:

We are two centre halfs away from being serious contenders... Here's hoping Hughes can deliver them for us all...

Agreed. However, I'm hoping one can play LB too, because right now we are really weak behind Bridge, my guess is if the season started today Barry would be your 2nd choice.

Great OP mate, good read.
I know this is only paper talk & coming from Goal.com isn't really the best place to get info
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/england/2009/07/18/1390421/manchester-city-to-move-for-nemanja-vidic-report" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/england/2 ... dic-report</a>
I doubt we are in for vidic, but what i don't doubt is that if we are, and get him we'll deffinatly be top4 next season, ok maybe another defender
He's a quality player and will without a doubt weaken the rags hugely. (which is why i doubt they'll sell him even if we did make an offer).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.