The Squad Depth Myth

In Pellegrini's system we are seriously short at right back and seriously short of quality in centre midfield.

We struggled at the beginning of the season because we had three injured first choice centre backs for a spell.

All three are key positions for our style of play. We are blessed up front and could play one up front if we lose another striker to injury. (Although Aguero and maybe Jovetic are approaching full fitness).

Our weakness in the above areas wouldn't be a major problem if we weren't chasing 4 trophies, we all want to see us lift at least two, possibly three, and if we won all four then bluemoon would go into meltdown. The squad can still be improved and isn't as complete as some in the media like to suggest. Couple this with bringing in younger players to replace older ones as time marches on, and there is always reason to want one or two transfers in a window, unless the EDS and youth teams can provide reinforcements. Our EDS players don't seem ready yet, so we have to spend when the opportunity arises so we can improve.

We made the mistake of not signing players in the second last summer window, then did some panic buying which didn't improve the squad. Only Nastasic has proved to be a decent buy from the 2012 summer spending so far. We don't want to make the same mistakes again. If we can't get the player/s we need in January then we'll have to carry on as we are and hope we don't get any more injuries and some of the crocks can shake off their fitness issues.

BillyShears said:
KippaxCitizen said:
BillyShears said:
That's not what I asked you big man. If City don't have a "particularly good squad at all for a supposed league/Champions Lg team" - other than the teams I mentioned who does ?
I think players on the bench of all the clubs I mentioned would come and sit on our bench ahead of the players like the three I mentioned and the always injured Richards Rodwell and Jovetić who are never there. So to answer the question again, all of those^

So you think Dortmund, Juve, At Madrid, Napoli, Arsenal, and Chelsea all have better squads than City. I won't bore you by listing all their squads. However to say your wrong would be the understatement of the weekend on Bluemoon.

Dortmund? no.
Juve? debatable.
At Madrid? no.
Arsenal? no way Jose Mourinho.
Chelsea? yes.

OB1 said:
Mr. Aguia said:
OB1 said:
Mentioned this in another thread. You can't have a squad of 22 world class players: you won't find 11 world class players that will settle for being back-ups or 22 that will accept constant rotation... You have to get by with having some back-up players who are simply good (to very good). Like many things in life it is about balance.

The OP referred specifically to midfield and in that area, Arsenal's back-ups are probably closer in quality to their first choice midfield than ours are to one another. However, our first choice midfield is, IMO, easily the best in the league. Exeter Blue has been making the point recently that in some squads, Arsenal being the prime example, the composition the squads is more seamless. I think is probably true that Arsenal can interchange their midfield without much variation in style and quality than we can. Pellegrini will need time to evolve his squad to one that is completely designed to play his way. I doubt that Manny would sanction the purchase of another James Milner; just as I doubt that Wenger would be bidding for Jimmy if we transfer listed him. Jimmy might, IMO, be the most overrated player, by a big chunk of our supporters, in City's squad but he is still a very useful player.

I could waffle on but the family have decided my rather excellent French toast is required.

Bayern Munich: 17
Manuel Neuer
Dante
David Alaba
Jerome Boateng
Philipp Lahm
Thomas Müller
Toni Kroos
Mario Mandzukic
Rafinha
Franck Ribéry
Bastian Schweinsteiger
Arjen Robben
Mario Götze
Daniel van Buyten
Javi Martínez
Thiago Alcantara
Xherdan Shaqiri

Real Madrid: 18
Diego Lopez
Iker Casillas
Cristiano Ronaldo
Karim Benzema
Sergio Ramos
Isco
Pepe
Luka Modric
Ángel Di María
Sami Khedira
Álvaro Arbeloa
Marcelo
Gareth Bale
Asier Illarramendi
Xabi Alonso
Fábio Coentrão
Raphael Varane
Jese

Barcelona: 16
Victor Valdés
Cesc Fábregas
Gerard Piqué
Andrés Iniesta
Sergio Busquets
Alexis Sánchez
Neymar
Xavi
Adriano
Dani Alves
Pedro
Javier Mascherano
Alex Song
Jordi Alba
Carles Puyol
Cristian Tello

City: 14
Joe Hart
Yaya Touré
Fernandinho
Pablo Zabaleta
Samir Nasri
Sergio Agüero
Álvaro Negredo
Aleksandar Kolarov
David Silva
Vincent Kompany
Jesús Navas
Edin Dzeko
James Milner
Stevan Jovetic

Apologies for my stupidity but what's your point exactly, are you trying to list world class players? If you are, you have a different definition to me.

The point was you can have a team full of world class players. The point was made earlier that it was impossible. That they would be unhappy sitting on the bench etc.. Just pointing out some clubs that have a lot more world class players than we do, many of them don't play regularly yet are happy to be there to win trophies. Thiago could have gone to the scum, played every game and been the midfield general yet chose to go to Bayern instead where he wouldn't play nearly as many games. Fabregast made the same choice, play a lesser role for Barca over the midfield general and playing every game with the scum. Shaquiri continues to stay at Bayern, rarely playing. Contrao could have been the scum's starting LB but chose to stay at Madrid and only play when Marcelo is hurt, which is rare. Dimaria also chose to stay with Madrid and play a lesser role than play game in game out.

Mr. Aguia said:
OB1 said:
Mr. Aguia said:
Manuel Neuer
Dante
David Alaba
Jerome Boateng
Philipp Lahm
Thomas Müller
Toni Kroos
Mario Mandzukic
Rafinha
Franck Ribéry
Bastian Schweinsteiger
Arjen Robben
Mario Götze
Daniel van Buyten
Javi Martínez
Thiago Alcantara
Xherdan Shaqiri

Diego Lopez
Iker Casillas
Cristiano Ronaldo
Karim Benzema
Sergio Ramos
Isco
Pepe
Luka Modric
Ángel Di María
Sami Khedira
Álvaro Arbeloa
Marcelo
Gareth Bale
Asier Illarramendi
Xabi Alonso
Fábio Coentrão
Raphael Varane
Jese

Victor Valdés
Cesc Fábregas
Gerard Piqué
Andrés Iniesta
Sergio Busquets
Alexis Sánchez
Neymar
Xavi
Adriano
Dani Alves
Pedro
Javier Mascherano
Alex Song
Jordi Alba
Carles Puyol
Cristian Tello

Joe Hart
Yaya Touré
Fernandinho
Pablo Zabaleta
Samir Nasri
Sergio Agüero
Álvaro Negredo
Aleksandar Kolarov
David Silva
Vincent Kompany
Jesús Navas
Edin Dzeko
James Milner
Stevan Jovetic

Apologies for my stupidity but what's your point exactly, are you trying to list world class players? If you are, you have a different definition to me.

The point was you can have a team full of world class players. The point was made earlier that it was impossible. That they would be unhappy sitting on the bench etc.. Just pointing out some clubs that have a lot more world class players than we do, many of them don't play regularly yet are happy to be there to win trophies. Thiago could have gone to the scum, played every game and been the midfield general yet chose to go to Bayern instead where he wouldn't play nearly as many games. Fabregast made the same choice, play a lesser role for Barca over the midfield general and playing every game with the scum. Shaquiri continues to stay at Bayern, rarely playing. Contrao could have been the scum's starting LB but chose to stay at Madrid and only play when Marcelo is hurt, which is rare. Dimaria also chose to stay with Madrid and play a lesser role than play game in game out.

We all know Thiago went for Pep and Cesc went back "home" those aren't two shining examples.

Notice how the rest of the names mentioned are always linked with moves away in recent transfer windows. Coentrao almost went to United this window but that bogus "220M chest" didn't work out as they were haggling over 12M more or less to secure him.

Mr. Aguia said:
OB1 said:
Mr. Aguia said:
Manuel Neuer
Dante
David Alaba
Jerome Boateng
Philipp Lahm
Thomas Müller
Toni Kroos
Mario Mandzukic
Rafinha
Franck Ribéry
Bastian Schweinsteiger
Arjen Robben
Mario Götze
Daniel van Buyten
Javi Martínez
Thiago Alcantara
Xherdan Shaqiri

Diego Lopez
Iker Casillas
Cristiano Ronaldo
Karim Benzema
Sergio Ramos
Isco
Pepe
Luka Modric
Ángel Di María
Sami Khedira
Álvaro Arbeloa
Marcelo
Gareth Bale
Asier Illarramendi
Xabi Alonso
Fábio Coentrão
Raphael Varane
Jese

Victor Valdés
Cesc Fábregas
Gerard Piqué
Andrés Iniesta
Sergio Busquets
Alexis Sánchez
Neymar
Xavi
Adriano
Dani Alves
Pedro
Javier Mascherano
Alex Song
Jordi Alba
Carles Puyol
Cristian Tello

Joe Hart
Yaya Touré
Fernandinho
Pablo Zabaleta
Samir Nasri
Sergio Agüero
Álvaro Negredo
Aleksandar Kolarov
David Silva
Vincent Kompany
Jesús Navas
Edin Dzeko
James Milner
Stevan Jovetic

I'm sorry, but if you can include Daniel van Buyten (who used to play for us when we were shite, and is now 82), and Jerome Boateng (who couldn't get in our team when we were 'quite' good, kept out by 'crock' Richards and/or Lescott), then surely you should be adding Nastasic, Clichy, Lescot, Richards & Demichellie into our list

MillionDollarDream said:
Mr. Aguia said:
OB1 said:

We all know Thiago went for Pep and Cesc went back "home" those aren't two shining examples.

Notice how the rest of the names mentioned are always linked with moves away in recent transfer windows. Coentrao almost went to United this window but that bogus "220M chest" didn't work out as they were haggling over 12M more or less to secure him.

But a lot only the press makes up as they "think" that the player might not be confident with his role.

Squad size is a difficult topic - and some players might need competition to perform best - for some it might be the biggest hindrance to have strong competition in the squad. Competition in the team might strengthen the team - but too much competition in the team and "unlucky" players can poison the dressing room and at the end that could destroy everything. For me the biggest art of a coach in a top team might not be the tactics of the coach but his ability to have an atmosphere in the team that improves the performance.

Maldeika said:
MillionDollarDream said:
Mr. Aguia said:

But a lot only the press makes up as they "think" that the player might not be confident with his role.

Squad size is a difficult topic - and some players might need competition to perform best - for some it might be the biggest hindrance to have strong competition in the squad. Competition in the team might strengthen the team - but too much competition in the team and "unlucky" players can poison the dressing room and at the end that could destroy everything. For me the biggest art of a coach in a top team might not be the tactics of the coach but his ability to have an atmosphere in the team that improves the performance.
That's one reason I thought it was strange that Heynkes was nudged aside for Guardiola.

The first two words in Zlatan Ibrahimovic's book are "Pep Guardiola" and let's just be succinct here; he thinks he's a cûnt who is a slime ball with certain players in a squad.

Mr. Aguia said:
OB1 said:
Mr. Aguia said:
Manuel Neuer
Dante
David Alaba
Jerome Boateng
Philipp Lahm
Thomas Müller
Toni Kroos
Mario Mandzukic
Rafinha
Franck Ribéry
Bastian Schweinsteiger
Arjen Robben
Mario Götze
Daniel van Buyten
Javi Martínez
Thiago Alcantara
Xherdan Shaqiri

Diego Lopez
Iker Casillas
Cristiano Ronaldo
Karim Benzema
Sergio Ramos
Isco
Pepe
Luka Modric
Ángel Di María
Sami Khedira
Álvaro Arbeloa
Marcelo
Gareth Bale
Asier Illarramendi
Xabi Alonso
Fábio Coentrão
Raphael Varane
Jese

Victor Valdés
Cesc Fábregas
Gerard Piqué
Andrés Iniesta
Sergio Busquets
Alexis Sánchez
Neymar
Xavi
Adriano
Dani Alves
Pedro
Javier Mascherano
Alex Song
Jordi Alba
Carles Puyol
Cristian Tello

Joe Hart
Yaya Touré
Fernandinho
Pablo Zabaleta
Samir Nasri
Sergio Agüero
Álvaro Negredo
Aleksandar Kolarov
David Silva
Vincent Kompany
Jesús Navas
Edin Dzeko
James Milner
Stevan Jovetic

Players like Pedro, Song, Boateng, Benzema and loads more of those listed are not world class in my book. Of those you have wirtten about, only Fabregas is world class, IMO, and he plays regularly for Barca. World class is a very subjective categorisation of course.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.