The They can't play every game myth

The sad fact is times have changed. Players have started earning more money, and with that money becomes an ego. If a player has a knock they won't play if they don't want to play. Back in those days if you had a knock you played or got a good fucking beating off the gaffer for being a tart.

We have brought it on ourselves for paying some of these c***s too much money.

BLUEMATT23 said:
Seriously when did this crap all start?.
I have heard tales from my dad & elder blues of the players sweating blood & tears & straining every sinew for us & playing in every competition back in our heyday.
Our old managers did not cherry pick the players for competitions & put out the same side more or less for every competition. They didn't complain.

Yes a lot's changed since when we were last successful but I can't get my head around the fact that players are paid an extorinate amount of money & yet it's asking them too much for them to play against West Brom on a Wednesday, have two days rest & then play Chelsea on a Saturday.
Are you telling me that Bell, Lee & Summerbee could not have done this?.
I know it's not us & other teams do it, but I think it's more in their (or the managers) mind than beyond their physical capabilities.

Theirs something seriously wrong with the world when fans are travelling to West Brom on a shit night, forking out £100- plus, booking time off work yet CANNOT watch their first team players, paid in excess of £100,00 a week as it's deemed impossible. It's pathetic

tbh, it's more a case of not wanting to risk injury to the usual first team players. But this is mancini's problem; his lack of wanting to take risks thats causing the problems with tactics and selections and ultimately the way we are playing

bluemoonmatt said:
Its pointless talking about Bell Lee and Summerbee and how they could play two games a week etc. Its the total amount of games over the length of the season that has increased and enforced a situation whereby the modern manager has to rotate the squad.

Did you know when we won the European Cup Winners Cup we played a total of five games in that competition, we'll have played that amount by 10.00pm next thursday and if we go on to win it we will have played 17 in this tournament alone. With a long and arduous league campaign in which we intend to maintain a challenge and the Fa Cup we simply have to prioritise.

You really do need to read up on your City history.... 5 games to win the Cup Winners Cup?

And teams played 42 league games in those days, on swamp like pitches.

And the cup games were all played as replays until you dropped!

Ah, the good old days of the Baseball Ground!

DD said:
Watch some 60s football and you will see that is virtually played at walking pace half the time.

That was so that their fags didn't go out!

Prime example:

Aston Villa under Martin O'Neill. He picked the same team almost week in, week out. By March, their season took a downward spiral. This didn't just happen once, but every season this happened.

I think our squad size will begin to be an advantage come the closing stages of the season. We just need to get rid of these injuries!

Damocles said:
Argh.

As much as I hate to say it, this thread demonstrates a lack of knowledge about football. That isn't in a bitchy way either, it's in a way that these 3 game a weekers don't currently understand the science of football.

Sports science is a very precise discipline. There are performance curves and regimes set out for each player, and fitness curves to be set out. Some like their teams fittest at the start of the season like Hughes. Some, like Ferguson, prefer their fitness and performance to peak in December or January. These are very purposeful measurements taken.

As every athlete knows, a body needs rest in addition to exercise to attain real fitness. Playing at top level, balls to the wall performance three times a week just doesn't work. The human body isn't built to do this.

All very plausible but could not RSC play two games a day when yer consider the energy the lad expends in just one match.? I use up more energy walking up the spiral to me seat than Roque does in a match. I'm not asking for three days off until I do it again!

BLUEMATT23 said:
Seriously when did this crap all start?.
I have heard tales from my dad & elder blues of the players sweating blood & tears & straining every sinew for us & playing in every competition back in our heyday.
Our old managers did not cherry pick the players for competitions & put out the same side more or less for every competition. They didn't complain.

Yes a lot's changed since when we were last successful but I can't get my head around the fact that players are paid an extorinate amount of money & yet it's asking them too much for them to play against West Brom on a Wednesday, have two days rest & then play Chelsea on a Saturday.
Are you telling me that Bell, Lee & Summerbee could not have done this?.
I know it's not us & other teams do it, but I think it's more in their (or the managers) mind than beyond their physical capabilities.

Theirs something seriously wrong with the world when fans are travelling to West Brom on a shit night, forking out £100- plus, booking time off work yet CANNOT watch their first team players, paid in excess of £100,00 a week as it's deemed impossible. It's pathetic

One is today's Ferrarri, one is 1972.

Which one would win?
Which one would breakdown more?

Damocles said:
Argh.

As much as I hate to say it, this thread demonstrates a lack of knowledge about football. That isn't in a bitchy way either, it's in a way that these 3 game a weekers don't currently understand the science of football.

Sports science is a very precise discipline. There are performance curves and regimes set out for each player, and fitness curves to be set out. Some like their teams fittest at the start of the season like Hughes. Some, like Ferguson, prefer their fitness and performance to peak in December or January. These are very purposeful measurements taken.

As every athlete knows, a body needs rest in addition to exercise to attain real fitness. Playing at top level, balls to the wall performance three times a week just doesn't work. The human body isn't built to do this.

nobody expects mancini to turn out with his best 11 at west brom in the league cup, what is expected is the manager to put out a team that is competitive and good enough to win the match.

nothing to do with the science of football, more to do with the manager doing the job he is paid to do.

What you also have to consider is that everyone else is doing it. I'm not saying Bobby is following trend so he looks cool infront of his mates, I mean if he picked the same 11 every week he would essentially be playing a team that is at 75% peroformance against a team of 100% performance.

Even against the likes of Hull or Portsmouth, you would be punished at this level.

Science changes things mate and now we know how to get the best out of our players it unfortunately means we need to keep a close eye on how often they're maximally exerting themselves.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.