The Title Race - 2021/22

• Thread starter Deleted member 81382
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
The pressure in that game was immense and I think it really got to the manager and players over the last few weeks hence Pep's tears at the end. You can't underestimate how difficult winning that game was mentality wise, the 1st goal was so important because it really did come from nothing and then after that they just decided to win it.

A second point is how important was that West Ham result last week? That was another comeback under immense pressure which if taken away means Liverpool are champions today.

We've been run over the last couple of months to the finest margins and it really does take guts to overcome the pressure, especially at 2-0 down! Stuff the Champions League, this was a far bigger achievement than that.
Yep, you can fluke the champs league, good draws, flukie goals, pens. You can't fluke the league. Takes some bottle to do what the chaps have done these last 2 games.

The pressure in that game was immense and I think it really got to the manager and players over the last few weeks hence Pep's tears at the end. You can't underestimate how difficult winning that game was mentality wise, the 1st goal was so important because it really did come from nothing and then after that they just decided to win it.

A second point is how important was that West Ham result last week? That was another comeback under immense pressure which if taken away means Liverpool are champions today.

We've been run over the last couple of months to the finest margins and it really does take guts to overcome the pressure, especially at 2-0 down! Stuff the Champions League, this was a far bigger achievement than that.
The players have been running on fumes since Atletico, Liverpool, Atletico, Liverpool. We've played without 3, 4 including Ake, of our first choice, and imo most important, defenders and leaders. Had the crushing dissapointment of Madrid, partly a result of the injuries to our defence. And had to come back from behind against decent West Ham and Villa sides. All coming out the other side of the pandemic, having a team mate locked up, having a team mate's country invaded. Pep's right - fucking legends the lot of them.

The players have been running on fumes since Atletico, Liverpool, Atletico, Liverpool. We've played without 3, 4 including Ake, of our first choice, and imo most important, defenders and leaders. Had the crushing dissapointment of Madrid, partly a result of the injuries to our defence. And had to come back from behind against decent West Ham and Villa sides. All coming out the other side of the pandemic, having a team mate locked up, having a team mate's country invaded. Pep's right - fucking legends the lot of them.
Exactly mate. Does my head in that all you ever hear is city have untold wealth and the biggest squad in football. That Liverpool squad is full of youth team players and free transfers.

well those players fought back time and time again. It would be easy to forget these players had the disappointment of losing the champions league final. The vast majority of that squad had what two three weeks off after the euros. Hardly any pre season. Then losing our first game of the season. To continually churn out results and have points totals of above 90 most seasons can not under estimated.

This squad are legends. We may not have the likes of silva,augero ,kompany dragging us along but each player stood up and was counted when it mattered.

Maybe one day they will get the recognition they deserve from outside.

These City and Liverpool teams have set ~95 as the marker you need to hit to get close to the league. We take that for granted now, but the levels of consistency needed for that are absurd.
I do think Spurs will have a say next year....Conte is one very clever manager. He focusses quite a lot on nullifying the opposition then working on making the most of the opportunities that are presented - sort of half pro active defensively and half reactive in attack, especially against good sides. Must make those games a tough watch if your Spurs fan. Can't underestimate his ability to attract a lot of top players around the globe, he has genuine pulling power. I really like Conte, very shrewd and will make it very tough (again) for us next year. I also think Chelsea may take more points of us and Liverpool next year. I think Tuchel is confident of accessing funds and may use them more wisely through acquiring some players with premier league experience no just stars from Bundesliga. As for us.. I do think the Southampton at home games will probably not end 0.0 next year with a change of focus and a CF,,, against certain teams we will have the ball a lot again but will be able to get it to a proven scorer....we should only need 3 / 4 chances in the 90 mins and that should be enough. So we may lose a few more points v top 4 but gain a ew more v rest. It will be a great PL next year I think as it doesn't take too long to tweak good teams and Tuchel and Conte look up for it as well as Klopp of course, He is strengthening shrewdly again.

There was almost a complete role reversal of the 2018/19 season where Liverpool had a sizeable lead, we gradually cut the gap until we were just in front and then both teams barely drop a point in the last few months. Fortunately for us we had other plans and the end result was the same, we beat Liverpool to the league by a single point in an incredibly tense title race for the second time in four seasons.

At the time, the 2-2 draw against them at home felt like a defeat because we led twice and were by far the better team. Looking back though, not losing that game arguably had the same signifcance as the 2-1 win at home in 2019 when Sane scored the winner. That result shifted the momentum and made Liverpool realise we weren't going away. Had they won at our place a few weeks ago after having just wiped out our substantial lead like we did to them in 2018/19, I think their momentum would've been unstoppable in the same way ours was and they probably go on to be champions.

Obviously you can point to lots of instances over the course of a season and say that's what won us the title but I don't think it should be understated how crucial that result was when you consider the timing of it and the momentum Liverpool had at the time.
that home 2:2 definitely a kick in the balls - we smashed them..that would have taken the wind out of their sails as well so not just three points on the day and them with 0..it would have affected games after..in our favour most probably

I said to our lot after the game, I hope the Sheikh pays for their holidays this year because that really was the toughest one. It goes top above QPR for me, not in emotion because that one can't be beaten but definitely in difficulty. If you remember for the QPR one we were chasing the league after losing at Arsenal and we came back to win it as United messed up their last few games.

This one was a lot different, we have always been top and the pressure was always on which I think is what cocked up other trophies like the FA Cup semi. Liverpool meanwhile didn't have too much pressure, they just knew they needed to just scab their games and keep it alive just like they've scabbed their cup wins so far.

It just goes to show that the league really is the jewel in the crown. You can't not score in the league and win it on a penalty shootout that's for sure...!

I'm assuming you mean mentally, re the West Ham result? Because we'd still have been championd if we had lost that, but won that one yeaterday with how the results played out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.