The Title Race - 2023/24

How many points will be needed to win the league?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
We have beaten teams better than this Liverpool team for sure, but we were also a better team ourselves.

We were on 45 points after 19 games last year. Arsenal falling off the pace threw us a lifeline coupled with Liverpool not running way. I guess we will see if we take advantage. If we can get by Newcastle the schedule does set up favorably.
You could argue we've literally thrown away 8 points against Chelsea, Liverpool, Spurs and Palace; like literally thrown away.

We played very well in all of those games and then had uncharacteristic moments of madness.

Let's hope we don't see many repeats of that in the 2nd half of the season.

You could argue we've literally thrown away 8 points against Chelsea, Liverpool, Spurs and Palace; like literally thrown away.

We played very well in all of those games and then had uncharacteristic moments of madness.

Let's hope we don't see many repeats of that in the 2nd half of the season.
Honest to God I hope we don't lose the league by two or fewer points because that Palace game will be haunt me forever. Hopefully we win it, and we can just look back and laugh at the points we dropped.

We don't beat Newcastle away it be hard because we have to go to Anfield and spurs which we got zero points from last season!
We need to beat Newcastle and go a mini run…I do think we can get points at Anfield

Honest to God I hope we don't lose the league by two or fewer points because that Palace game will be haunt me forever. Hopefully we win it, and we can just look back and laugh at the points we dropped.

Sooner or later at the crunch end of season game we may not come out on top for the first time ever! I'll be gutted but that's football we won the last day of the season 4/5 times already

Leicester only needed to beat 71 points that year to win it. Arsenal needed 90 mate. Nothing at all to do with 'mental strength', just the level of the whole season and the opposition. You might as well go argue Leicester only won it because Spurs 'bottled it', which would be as unfair imo as your arguement is to us. We won the title. Arsenal didn't lose it.

Going into their 30th game of the season they had 72pts, so they needed 18pts from their final 9 games with one against us. They'd averaged 2.4pts per game up to that point and managed 12pts from their final 9 or 1.3pts per game. We'll agree to disagree but I see that as a mental bottling when the stakes were raised. Consecutive draws from 2-0 up form part of my opinion.

Ultimately, we won it so I'm happy it happened whatever you want to call it. And this season they don't look to be any better.

As for Liverpool, they don't drop many points at home and away from home seem to be a much more robust side this season. Winning at Newcastle with 10 men for an hour. Only losing to Spurs in the 96th minute despite having 9 men for almost 30 minutes... there's a resilience there and I don't believe they'll fall away in the same fashion.

The caveat is, they're not setting an alarming pace. We've dropped so many points yet would be 2pts behind with our game in hand. So we've got an excellent chance of winning it again if we hit the heights we'd expect to. I don't believe they could cope with the pace if we did. Beating Newcastle is vital and then Pep can work his magic over in Abu Dhabi. For squad bonding, mental focus it's an excellent opportunity for us. And for Pep he can spend hours on the tactics and systems he wants to implement which is something that shouldn't be underestimated.

Going into their 30th game of the season they had 72pts, so they needed 18pts from their final 9 games with one against us. They'd averaged 2.4pts per game up to that point and managed 12pts from their final 9 or 1.3pts per game. We'll agree to disagree but I see that as a mental bottling when the stakes were raised. Consecutive draws from 2-0 up form part of my opinion.

Ultimately, we won it so I'm happy it happened whatever you want to call it. And this season they don't look to be any better.

As for Liverpool, they don't drop many points at home and away from home seem to be a much more robust side this season. Winning at Newcastle with 10 men for an hour. Only losing to Spurs in the 96th minute despite having 9 men for almost 30 minutes... there's a resilience there and I don't believe they'll fall away in the same fashion.

The caveat is, they're not setting an alarming pace. We've dropped so many points yet would be 2pts behind with our game in hand. So we've got an excellent chance of winning it again if we hit the heights we'd expect to. I don't believe they could cope with the pace if we did. Beating Newcastle is vital and then Pep can work his magic over in Abu Dhabi. For squad bonding, mental focus it's an excellent opportunity for us. And for Pep he can spend hours on the tactics and systems he wants to implement which is something that shouldn't be underestimated.

We'll continue to disagree on last season.

I agree entirely on the next two paragraphs though. Bring it on, I'm in!

Not being facetious here btw, but do humour me. When Aston Villa were 2-0 up against us on the final day in the 60 something'th minute, did They bottle it? Did we only win that title because AV bottled it? Or did the overwhelming difference in quality between them and us finally burst through?

Just trying to establish, where this threshold of 'mental strength/weakness' is, vs being the better/inferior side on the whole.

Semantics bollocks are getting boring.
Half full/empty glasses and whatnot.
We won the titles, unquestionably. And against PiGMOL and the media.
Also the red jessies bottled it from advantage positions having the bestest ever players ever in every position that meant more ;) Tell this to those stinking cunts to rattle them. No problem.
And tell ourselves we've won it with relentless fight and Pep's vision and mentality.

Not being facetious here btw, but do humour me. When Aston Villa were 2-0 up against us on the final day in the 60 something'th minute, did They bottle it? Did we only win that title because AV bottled it? Or did the overwhelming difference in quality between them and us finally burst through?

Just trying to establish, where this threshold of 'mental strength/weakness' is, vs being the better/inferior side on the whole.

I would prefer to say let's agree to disagree!

But I would say that considering they had 72pts with 9 games left and only picked up 12....they bottled it. When the pressure is on and stakes are high that's when mental strength is tested. They drew with West Ham and Southampton and lost to Brighton and Forest. Their results fell off a cliff, with Saliba being their only valid mitigation but it was more than that. We were an easy excuse for them to temper expectations. From the position they were in they should have been at least pushing us closer than they did.

Villa had no pressure or expectation. Gerrard would have wanted them to win but the players wouldn't have cared. I would call it bottling it if performances dropped over a run of games when pressure was highest.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.