The Ultimate Rock Icon.

Re: The Ultimate Rock Icon.

Right. I've got an alternate since nobody for some reason likes aerosmith or appreciate the talent that was Mercury. I give you the father of metal Tony Iommi. Beat that you pricks.

Reading this it's pretty clear to me that some people aren't sure what a rock icon is and think this thread is about their favourite singer/band etc. Many of the biggest bands and performers from the '60s are icons; they transcended the music, their images and influence were felt far beyond it and into the wider arts, the media, the public psyche and the then-fledgling underground.

Crossing boundaries, photographers like David Bailey and Terence Donovan added to the wealth of imagery in the magazines and newspapers of the day, thus creating genuine iconography whilst making household names for themselves, no more so than the Beatles, the Rolling Stones (Mick Jagger in particular), Bob Dylan and, of course, Elvis. There are hundreds of iconic images of these performers, imprinted into the public's memory bank.

Later in the decade, when rock was really born, artistically things exploded here and in America: Cream, The Who, Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, The Doors, Jefferson Airplane, Janis Joplin, the Grateful Dead all came with their own imagery, little of it from record company A&R men and hand-outs, but much of it created by a handful of illustrators/designers here (particularly the Australian, Martin Sharp) and from the East and West Coasts of America like Wes Wilson, Alton Kelly, Stanley Mouse and Rick Griffin on behalf of key venues.

These were the people who created the original iconography; many of the images in your mind are probably the ones they created. I can't deny that relative late-comers like Sid Vicious and Kurt Cobain were icons to their generation but they simply don't carry the gravitas that the old school rock stars did and still do. If you don't believe me, have a look at some of the prices some of this paraphernalia garners.

In the meantime, if you want to know more about bona fide rock iconography, order yourself a copy of the bible on these things: the AOR...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Art-Rock-Po...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1342560276&sr=1-1

You'll thank me for it.

95% of people would not recognise Tony Iommi if they were handcuffed to him. Not to say he isnt a great and influential guitarist just not an icon.

Mick Jagger had the elusive je ne sais quoi
Chungo said:
Right. I've got an alternate since nobody for some reason likes aerosmith or appreciate the talent that was Mercury. I give you the father of metal Tony Iommi. Beat that you pricks.

Adidas Barry Silkman said:
95% of people would not recognise Tony Iommi if they were handcuffed to him. Not to say he isnt a great and influential guitarist just not an icon.

Chungo said:

Fuck it then Lemmy or Ozzy. Final answer.

Chungo said:
Adidas Barry Silkman said:

Chungo said:

Fuck it then Lemmy or Ozzy. Final answer.

well as its your FINAL answer, I feel I need to say bollocks!!!!!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.