The word Rag...

Can anyone remember when it first became popular to call them that. I'm sure I remember a time where you'd never hear the word.

Pam said:
Can anyone remember when it first became popular to call them that. I'm sure I remember a time where you'd never hear the word.

Would you say it is 'popular'? Apart from the internet and fanzines i can't say i hear the word much

tbh in a way i dont see why we stopped calling them m***chs, because it obviously diddnt bother them until 20 years after it happened ;)

milnrowmeatandpotato said:
Pam said:

Would you say it is 'popular'? Apart from the internet and fanzines i can't say i hear the word much

You hear it used a lot on match days though.

Lmarkham-blueblood said:
tbh in a way i dont see why we stopped calling them m***chs, because it obviously diddnt bother them until 20 years after it happened ;)

Has this stopped? Can't say i've noticed

are you all too young to know where the term comes from ? - maybe a bit childish 40 years ago - but it felt appropriate

I tend to find the rag fans who don't know what the term means usually think football was invented in 1992 by Sky.

Anyone who doesn't know the reason behind it-try doing a search on the forum.It's quite entertaining.

It goes back a long way-thre are a few stories,all of them amusing in their own way-but the most likely and historically accurate explanation is the term was actually created by the rags themselves when describing their own ruinous financial situation,when they couldn't even afford to buy a new kit and almost went bust in the early part of last century.

History repeating itself?Here's hoping.

I agree with Liam, it is rubbish.

Never heard anyone say it at a match in 30+ years.

Just an fanzime sanitised word which was adopted by internet fans.

Just think of all the songs with it in? 0.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.