The worlds most bizzare food?

Andrew Zimmern, a chef on the American Food Network, has a show called Bizarre Foods to prevent Americans from eating flavored goat penis. Although we eat just about everything else and in great quantity.

I once visited a restaurant in the golden triangle region of Thailand and ordered the 'local speciality'. Some short time after, a lidded earthenware pot was delivered to the table and each of the waiting staff took turns to give it a vigorous shake. When the lid was removed, I was rather surprised to see what looked like cockroaches endeavouring to extricate themselves from the hot, spicy sauce to which they'd been introduced.

Turns out to have been live river shrimp! Quite tasty, though I prefer my food dead.

tangaroa said:
I once visited a restaurant in the golden triangle region of Thailand and ordered the 'local speciality'. Some short time after, a lidded earthenware pot was delivered to the table and each of the waiting staff took turns to give it a vigorous shake. When the lid was removed, I was rather surprised to see what looked like cockroaches endeavouring to extricate themselves from the hot, spicy sauce to which they'd been introduced.

Turns out to have been live river shrimp! Quite tasty, though I prefer my food dead.

YUK Did you eat it all?

Well, living in Norway, I've eaten whale meat several times, but here, it's not regarded as bizarre. One type of cured meat is made of mostly horse meat - tried that as well. Am a regular eater of mølje - cod, cod liver and cod roe - great when it's prepared by someone in the know. And around Christmas, there's always lutefisk - dried white fish that's been treated with caustic soda, before being soaked (several times) and prepared. I haven't yet tried the smoked half sheep's head, but that's because it's not a speciality up here in t' north.

MadchesterCity said:
I have eaten some strange things on my travels

curried chicken feet, roasted intestines and balut in Philippines - lovely with salt and red horse beer!

Crickets, beetles, baby frogs, rats and other bugs in Thailand

Scorpions, seahorse, seacucumber, jelly fish, sea urchin and dog in China

rawmince in Poland

Horse in Bulgaria

I met a japanese girl who has eaten bear!
smash-it.jpg

cityboy1 said:
MadchesterCity said:

curried chicken feet, roasted intestines and balut in Philippines - lovely with salt and red horse beer!

rawmince in Poland

Horse in Bulgaria

smash-it.jpg

Did she know the offside rule?

cityboy1 said:
MadchesterCity said:

rawmince in Poland

Horse in Bulgaria

smash-it.jpg

The Japanese girl or the bear?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.