This Chelsea Team

What's happening with Chelsea reminds me of Houllier trying and ultimately failing to change the way Villa played last season. The Chelsea players have been playing a certain way for a long long time and are now being asked to do someting completely different that a lot of them aren't suited to. Villas Boas could get it right eventually but the question is will he be given the time to

Love_Each_Day said:
What's happening with Chelsea reminds me of Houllier trying and ultimately failing to change the way Villa played last season. The Chelsea players have been playing a certain way for a long long time and are now being asked to do someting completely different that a lot of them aren't suited to. Villas Boas could get it right eventually but the question is will he be given the time to

It's also a huge case of, will RA back AVB over Lampard, Terry and Drogba? That, IMO is his biggest problem to rejuvenating/rebuilding that side.

MCFC-alan88 said:
Love_Each_Day said:

It's also a huge case of, will RA back AVB over Lampard, Terry and Drogba? That, IMO is his biggest problem to rejuvenating/rebuilding that side.
He has to. That trio can't go on forever so whoever comes in is going to have to deal with the problem eventually. The three of them together simply aren't good enough anymore to build a title-winning side around, so if Abramovich doesn't back his manager on this he's an even bigger mug than I previously assumed.

The most intriguing thing about Chelsea's potential demise is the new FFP regulations. Abramovich was one of the biggest fans of these when they were first mooted and his backing undoubtedly helped push them through at a time when he had a team that was comfortably challenging for Premier/Champions League titles and City were spending tons and tons of cash just trying to break into the top 4.

However, years of mismanagement at the very top at Chelsea has taken its toll; a team of stuttering once-great players growing older by the day and with very limited sell-on value. There is a HUGE transformation job to be done at Chelsea, but can they actually afford to do it to the extent that is necessary?

City have managed to get the bulk of their spending done before the regs properly come into force; Chelsea are going to have to do it just as they kick in. I can't help but feel that Abramovich took a massive dump on his own doorstep when he backed FFP, and this was compounded by his constant sacking of managers and a refusual to prepare properly for the new regulations' implementation. Interesting times.

Tricky times at Chelsea Cole,Terry, Lampost, Drogba all losing the edge they had.Torres doing the same as he did in the last season at 'pool,nothing.How much to replace that lot now FFP is coming in.deep doo-doo for Roman Ab.

wahablue said:
Tricky times at Chelsea Cole,Terry, Lampost, Drogba all losing the edge they had.Torres doing the same as he did in the last season at 'pool,nothing.How much to replace that lot now FFP is coming in.deep doo-doo for Roman Ab.

Realistically they need to replace Drogba, Lampard, Terry, Luiz (also :p), Cole, Anelka, Malouda - all of them apart from Luiz are 31+.

They've spent around £150m net the last 3 seasons and were still losing cash even with CL money coming in. Realistically, looking at what we have spent, to keep their squad the same level they are going to need to spend easily another £150m - £200m and basically do it in the next 2 years. That's going to add £40m amortisation on top of their current losses as well.

At least City can point to a LOT of extra revenue coming in this season whilst Chelsea's will be flat (maybe a slight rise).

Their commercial revenue could be improved I guess, their gate receipt money is fairly fixed and so is the TV money so not sure where their extra revenue is coming in for FFPR.

On the plus side, I'm sure RA could have a few words with his gangster buddies and twist some arms (literally :p) to get some more sponsorship :D

Luiz is great talent, yes he's all over the place. but if he had the right manager who could install discipline in him. He would be a worldie

I rate Ramires, mata, Sturridge. But the problem with Chelsea is that no manager since Mourinho has left had full control, and some players are too powerful. Scolari said Drogba, Cech and Ballack got him sacked by turning him on the owner.

They had Sturridge last season which they didnt trust, now they have josh mceachran who's a fantastic talent. But they simply dont trust him and think he will be ready by playing reserve football.

Boas is making the mistake that he's trying to change everything radically. he would be advised to to it gradually. Ultimately as talented as he is, he hasnt dealt with poison like the older Chelsea players, and if he's going to take them on........he better have Romans full backing, because they will not let him get rid of them that easily. One thing City did very well was, they bought young hungry players who wanted to achieve things. Mourinho did the same, but 7 of his players started against Chelsea. Those young hungry players became stars who won it all and know they have too much ego

For me personally, if AVB does get the bullet i'd go a managerial setup of -

Director of Football - Guus Hiddink
Manager - Frank Rijkaard
Assistant Manager - Ray Wilkins

Out of the 3 I think Abramovich needs to swallow his pride and get Wilkins back at the club in place of Di Matteo. Wilkins was well liked and respected by the players and was a baffling sacking.
Also Rijkaard is currently manager of Saudi Arabia but i reckon he could be attracted by a big pay packet. If he isn't interested maybe go for Van Gaal.

Wilkins wasn't sacked for being a poor coach, he was sacked allegedly for a problem he needs to sort out. Until he does no club will touch him.

mat said:
Wilkins wasn't sacked for being a poor coach, he was sacked allegedly for a problem he needs to sort out. Until he does no club will touch him.

Is it his crap commentary that clubs are wanting to avoid?

Just from one game against Madrid...
“It’s important that they keep the ball and maintain possession of the ball.”

“Keep the ball… Enjoy the ball and have fun with it.”

“It’s ball retention you must retain possession of the ball… They are trying to retain it but cannot retain possession of the ball comfortably.”

“It’s vitally important that Tottenham keep the ball.”

“They’ve got to keep the ball Tottenham, if they give Real Madrid the ball they are going to be dangerous.”

“They’ve got to keep good possession as much as they possibly can.”

“Unfortunately you must try and retain possession of the ball.”

“This is given away by Tottenham because they haven’t tried to keep possession.”

STAY ON YOUR FEET!

“The important part is to stay on your feet .”

“They’re staying on their feet, not going to the floor and that’s vitally important.”

“If he stays on his feet there’s no problem … Stay on your feet.”

[After Spurs go 2-0 down] “This is a tough night now for Tottenham, they have to stay on their feet.”

“You must stay on your feet, if you go to the floor you will give away a penalty kick.”

“It doesn’t matter where you play on the field of play you have to stay on your feet at this level because as soon as you go to the floor you give a free kick away the next one you will be red carded.”

REAL MADRID'S QUALITY

“This is a talented Real Madrid side.”

“This is not easy against a side of such quality.”

“Xabi Alonso - Liverpool have missed him immensely because he is a wonderful player.”

“Crouch off - This is tough. Madrid are full of world class players.”

“With the one extra player it has been so tough for Tottenham to get their game going.”

“Ronaldo is a tricky customer.”

“Ronaldo - he’s got two great feet… He’s one hell of a dangerous guy.”

“My word Ronaldo does look quite impressive.”

“You must make sure that ball gets past the first defender from corners.”

“When you’re playing in such an environment it’s very difficult.”

TOTTENHAM'S TASK

“Tottenham will feel they have a real uphill task.”

“This is a big period now for Tottenham, they have to keep this down to two.”

“This is a tough period for Tottenham.”

“These are the most difficult periods when you’ve got this pressure coming upon you.”

PETER CROUCH NOT STAYING ON HIS FEET

“It’s the first booking that gives him the second one.”

“I’ve got to say that to get away with that in such a hostile environment you’ve got to count your chickens

“They’ve done well, but the inevitable is there.”

“It was a rash challenge but not as harsh as one would have thought.”

“Had Peter stayed on they may have had the opportunity to score the away goal they deserve.”

“I’m convinced if Peter had stayed on the pitch Tottenham would have scored.”

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.