This is How it Feels To Be City

Pokes28 said:
Loved it. I'm a new comer to City fandom. In 2009 I watched the Manchester Derby and United won 4-3. We finally started getting PL on TV and I was looking for a team to follow. I had been to Manchester for a vacation but I knew I hated the rags. So the combination of familiarity of Manchester and the way City played that day even in defeat permanently made City my club.

I don't know nearly enough history though I'm working on it. Stories like this make it all that much better.

Thanks for sharing.

Please keep digging. The more you read about the history of the club the more things you will find to love. Champions one season to relegated the next, scored and conceded 100 goals in a season, relegated as the leagues top scorers. It is a unique club.

I loved those days. As a 9 year old kid it didn't matter who we were playing it was all exciting and fun. Weaver was my first hero. The fans and players were in it together. We could only look at what united were doing and never expect to be in that position. Look at us now. A dream come true. Happy days.

Ban-jani said:
That Pearce season tested City fans so much, it was dreadful.
There were less & less turning up around me, season ticket holders not going,
getting stuffed by the likes of Reading & clinging onto 0-0 draws.

I sat through every home game that season, & whilst I knew I wasn't going anywhere,
I did find myself thinking "what's the fucking point in this?"

The loss to Blackburn away in the FA cup genuinely convinced me 100% I'd never
live to see City win anything.

The kit was fucking shite as well.

Depressing.

The 0-0 at home to Charlton when, after about 10 mins, both teams seemed to agree to settle for a draw was worth a mention. We were as good as the Germans, albeit against Austria.

The article goes on about city fans of a certain age, but in only 26, and ill never forget how awful the old division 2 was, and there has been only one game I've ever seen that was better than Gillingham. I may be young, but I've been there and wouldn't change it for anything.

what happened to Bill Borrows he used to write for the city mag and daily mirror years ago, but never hear any thing about him now

cibaman said:
Ban-jani said:

I sat through every home game that season, & whilst I knew I wasn't going anywhere,

Depressing.

The 0-0 at home to Charlton when, after about 10 mins, both teams seemed to agree to settle for a draw was worth a mention.

Good Friday that wasn't it? A truly dire game in a season of them!

Ban-jani said:

Depressing.
I was over for that Reading game, IIRC. 2-0 wasn't it? A truly dreadful performance, and a nightmare drive back home from Dublin airport in the thickest fog I've ever seen. Normally a comfortable 3 hour drive took over 5 fucking hours; got back in the house sometime after 4 on the sunday morning. A nightmre day all round. I'm sure I wondered ''what the fuck am I doing this for''. I now know what I was doing it for!

Great article, does sum us up well. I remember Paul Hince of the Manchester Evening News writing an article after the Blackpool game. The gist of it went something like this...
What is it about Manchester City and their fans. It seems the worse City get, the more the fans turn up, over 32000 there on Saturday. Picture the scene, the year is 2006, Manchester City are in the Beazar Homes league northern division 2. They have just lost at home 2-1 to Ashton United. Attendance 58000.

It made me laugh at the time, and it summed us up. We almost had no hope, and too make it worse "The Worlds Biggest Club" were winning everything. Something kept telling us, keep the faith, believe better days are round the corner, but City was in our blood, we couldn't escape if we wanted to.

I admit to crying when we won league 1 under Keegan, and when Sergio scored against QPR. However, every trophy that comes our way, i cherish, whilst remembering how low i have felt at times, following my team.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.