This Throw In BS

Frank the Yank

Just change the rule-if you take longer than 6 seconds to take it, its a foul throw. If you take it from the wrong place, its a foul throw. Reasoning on the 6 second rule, why should they be given all day to throw it in? The defending team should be awarded for good defense niot punished!!!

Sorry hit submit too quickly. Last point that would stop all this nonsense of a player wasting 40 seconds on a throw in!!! Its ridonkuouls!!!

If we would of got a throw-in last night and richards for example, would of stood there for 12-15 seconds just doing nothing with the ball in his hands, then the ref would of made him get on with it and stop time wasting,

doing that is effectively no different to what Stoke were doing.

Its part of the rules of the game, they are lucky they have a player who can do it, I guess its like having a great dead ball taker you either have or you haven't.

I thought we stood up well last night to the throws and it was 1 mis-judgement that caused the goal.

Fair comments fellas. I'm a Stoke fan and the towel thing annoys me aswell. It's embarassing and after every victory it's all we ever hear about which takes away any credit we may get from the other two very good goals we scored.

The one thing i would argue with though is the "time-wasting" thing. Yes it takes a while for him to take a throw, that's not even up for debate, but he doesn't do it to run down the clock. When the cameras are on him wiping the ball, 9 times out of 10, everybody on the pitch isn't just standing there waiting. The two centre halves are running 60 yards to get into the box as it's a set-piece for us just the same as a free kick or a corner. Plus he also still wipes it when we we are losing and takes just as long so it not time-wasting to gain an advantage but solely so he can get a better grip. As i said, i wouldn't care if they banned the towel tomorrow but if at corners and free kicks you're allowed to wait until your defenders get forwards into the box i don't really see the difference for a throw in to be honest.

Last night when he was wiping it and then throwing it 5 yards it was laughable and again embarassing but we don't play against 10 men every week and you had every opportunity to mark the free players but even though you were losing you seemed to think the best tactic was to pack the box and assume we'd keep chucking it in.

As i said though, if the camera was taken off Delap wiping the ball and instead put on the centre halves running up the pitch you'd see the ball more than often comes in pretty quickly after they get there (assuming the ref doesn't have to speak to players trying to rugby tackle each other before it comes in of course.)

It didn't feel like football that I was watching last night. When someone can chuck a ball as fast and accurately as Delap, it changes the whole nature of the game. Football should be about using your feet to do something magical to score a goal. A mazy run, a 30 yard screamer, a great team one touch passing goal. Not throwing the ball at incredible speed at a pack of 7 foot players that can jump higher than anyone else.

How come no one else in England can throw the ball like Delap. It's such a potent weapon that I'm amazed it's not used my more teams.

If it does become more widely used though, then that will be the day I give up on football.

seafordblue said:
It didn't feel like football that I was watching last night. When someone can chuck a ball as fast and accurately as Delap, it changes the whole nature of the game. Football should be about using your feet to do something magical to score a goal. A mazy run, a 30 yard screamer, a great team one touch passing goal. Not throwing the ball at incredible speed at a pack of 7 foot players that can jump higher than anyone else.

How come no one else in England can throw the ball like Delap. It's such a potent weapon that I'm amazed it's not used my more teams.

If it does become more widely used though, then that will be the day I give up on football.

Not sure i'd go that far but i know what you mean. Can't see it happening though, nobody else seems to even be able to get close to his throws. Distance perhaps but not as flat and at the speed he throws it at which is what causes all the problems for defenders. Luckily for the state of world football i think he's just a freak of nature and it will probably be short lived. No doubt if everybody started doing it then they'd probably ban a run up or something to keep it in check. Difficult for them to do that at the moment though without it basically just looking like a rule change to piss off Stoke. We shall see i suppose but even if they banned them tomorrow i still think we'd be fine as we have more about us than that even though not many people outside of Stoke are willing to admit it. ;-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.