Tiger Woods in car accident

Twenty odd years ago when the new wedge shaped BMW 3 series had come out, my boss needed to shift some stuff at his house, so for the weekend he used my Mondeo hatch and I took his BMW
He'd already told me that the pedals were a bit strange and sightly offset
On the final piece of the journey home as i srarted to turn off the motorway and brake, the car wasn't slowing, in fact it picked up a bit of speed
My foot was depressing the clutch
As a fairly inexperienced driver I picked up a hire car which was an automatic. It was the first time I'd ever driven an auto, so I was a bit tentative and cautious for the first 50 miles until I got used to it.

About 100 miles into the journey I was on the M6 at the junction with the M5. As I pulled on to the slip road I noticed traffic in front was starting to slow, so I did the same and completely forgot I was in an auto when I tried to press the non-existent clutch pedal to change down and squarely connected with the brake pedal with my left foot.

The 40ft truck behind me got quite big in the mirror very quickly, and my heart rate went up rapidly. Took me about half a second to realise my mistake and sort myself out. That was the first and last time I've ever had a problem driving an auto in around 30 years of driving.

Not caught up on the last few pages but my take on the whole thing is that I think it's all very suspicious.

First of all, I don't buy for one second this "accidentally pressed the accelerator" idea. That holds no water at all. There isn't a car in existance (other than 100 year old vintage thing) that doesn't have a dirty great big middle pedal which is the brake and the accelerator to the right of it. No-one other than 90 year old drivers with dementia, press the accelerator instead of the break by accident. And even if he did (which is pretty much impossible), it's even more impossible to imagine that he accidentally kept pressing it for several seconds before he reached 80-odd mph and then lost control. An elite sports professional, doubtless with decent or better than decent reaction times? It's nonsense.

So why was he continuing to press that accelerator? I can think of a number of possibilities, and there's probably others:
  • He was just being a dick and driving wrecklessly
  • He was trying to kill himself
  • It was road rage and something happened where he was chasing after someone
  • It was road rage and something happened where he was trying to get away from someone
  • He was messing with the auto-pilot & radar-controlled cruise control in a strange car perhaps - just messing about perhaps and set it to say 100mph and he was seeing if it would slow for bends etc and it went horribly wrong.
Who knows what it was, but "accidentally pressed the accelerator" is not it. Of course he says he remembers nothing. Perhaps that is true, but equally, he would say that wouldn't he. He's hardly likely to say he had road rage and was chasing another driver, for example.

Second, the police letting him off. Of course the police are going to say their hands are tied. They can hardly say "well if it was anyone else, we'd have prosecuted him, but as it's Tiger, we're letting him off". So what the police say/didn't say is a bit irrelevant. What matters is what is the law in California, and the threshold for criminal prosecution. It may be true that without witnesses, the polices' hand are indeed tied. I don't know, I have not read the statute books. But it strikes me as odd. The quotes I've seen use words like "it's complex". Seems to me that like in the UK, they could gather forensic evidence about the speed of the vehicle if they wanted to. It doesn't even have to be skid marks - apparently you can determine the speed by the nature of tyre marks on the road - how much was the edge of the tyre vs the centre, radius of turning marks etc - what the speed was. Also, seems odd to me that the police did not choose to check Woods' phone record to see whether he was on the phone at the time. GIven the speed he was travelling at, and the fact there was a very serious accident which ensued, I would have thought they would check that as a matter of course.

Anyway, who knows. But it all seems a bit iffy to me.

Last edited:
Just a quick reminder of the potential for threadbans if we get a repeat of yesterday afternoon. Don't get into arguments on the forum. Keep it to PMs or, better still, put the other person on ignore. Thanks.

Twenty odd years ago when the new wedge shaped BMW 3 series had come out, my boss needed to shift some stuff at his house, so for the weekend he used my Mondeo hatch and I took his BMW
He'd already told me that the pedals were a bit strange and sightly offset
On the final piece of the journey home as i srarted to turn off the motorway and brake, the car wasn't slowing, in fact it picked up a bit of speed
My foot was depressing the clutch
So you were the DRIVER In a WEDGE shaped car.
You da Man!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.